Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's "It" to be made into a film...

Administrator

England

Stephen King's "It" to be made into a film...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7941335.stm

If I recall the book and the TV-mini series, as with so many Stephen King stories, then end is a big let down
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Ugggh, they need to produce some of his existing, untapped material as films, not re-tread stories people have seen in such great detail. I sympathize a bit more with wanting to expand a previous film to a miniseries to address portions of excised or truncated material, but...double meh to this re-do.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Ugggh, they need to produce some of his existing, untapped material as films, not re-tread stories people have seen in such great detail. I sympathize a bit more with wanting to expand a previous film to a miniseries to address portions of excised or truncated material, but...double meh to this re-do.
    I'm seeing a trend here, as in the Fantastic Four thread..."Oh, we fucked it up the first time? Let's do it again!"

NO MULLIGANS DAMNIT!!! DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    "Oh, we fucked it up the first time? Let's do it again!"
    From what I recall, the mini-series of "IT" was pretty good? Just the ending let it down, which was really due to the source material (King's novel)?

I recall Tim Curry being fantastically creepy in it!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    From what I recall, the mini-series of "IT" was pretty good? Just the ending let it down, which was really due to the source material (King's novel)?

I recall Tim Curry being fantastically creepy in it!
    As a fan of the book I was only "meh" on it. It's another one of those King books that is fantastically heavy, w/ lot's of back story (which doesn't convert well to film/screen) & there's a lot of deeper meaning behind "It" & where the Losers were getting their help from, etc.

I dunno, some of King's stuff seems to translate better than others? Seems like the more "straightforward" stuff translates pretty well, but the more "cosmic" stuff, that ties together in the "King-verse" kinda looses something in translation.

Being a TV movie instead of a feature didn't really help either...

"The Stand" being another one that, IMO, The TV movie format did no favors (wonder how long before they'll remake IT as well?)

Undisclosed
    Why are they remaking this? The t.v. series was meh. Though, I liked Tim Curry as a clown. Btw, what the hell was he? He went from murderous clown to glowing monster floating around in the sewers. I never read the book, btw.

Super Moderator

United States
    I agree. For it's day, and the fact that it was a made for tv mini-series, the production was quite good, save for the ending (per usual King-style )

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Who do they think can replace tim curry?, JHONNY DEPP?!?, SETH ROGAN?!?!

WILL WEATON!!!!!11!!ONEONE!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    As a fan of the book
    Was the ending as poor as I recall?
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Who do they think can replace tim curry?, JHONNY DEPP?!?, SETH ROGAN?!?!

WILL WEATON!!!!!11!!ONEONE!!

Michael Cera.

United States
    Was the ending as poor as I recall?
    I liked it...bit of a downer in some respects, a bit bittersweet in others. The whole concept of the book & the town of Derry in general was pretty epic to me, ending included. Insomnia was another good one along those lines, also set in Derry.

United States
    i remember the tv miniseries and read the book when i was younger....stephen king's got some freaky scene in the book where all the boys basically gangbang the chick (she's down for it) that hangs with them and they all lose their virginity together or something.

i'd rather see more of kings short stories adapted into episodes, perhaps like the twilight zone movie where you've got four really great shorts, or even a double-film like grindhouse. "road work" and "the long walk" from the bachman books are two that would make a great double feature, imo. probably wouldn't be box-office smashes and bring in tons of texting teeny-boppers, but with the right people working on them, they'd be great.

England
    I always thought of the TV mini series as a film anyway,and no doubt some cocky kid of a director will make it into a CGI fest with model-like teens in all the lead roles!
    The book is awesome & the ending makes much more sense,the TV version had a worthy stab at the book but yes the end was a let down,but it would be hard to translate all that "deadlights" stuff to screen anyway,it only works in your own imagination from the words on the page

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Why are they remaking this? The t.v. series was meh. Though, I liked Tim Curry as a clown. Btw, what the hell was he? He went from murderous clown to glowing monster floating around in the sewers. I never read the book, btw.
    Don't forget giant spider form.

Pennywise the clown was your biggest fears, I believe.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    This book (IT) is the reason I didn't kill myself in Junior year. Also loved The Long Walk. Totally could see it as a movie. King is... King, but Romero is Lord. Respect.