Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A pants-shittingly insane Rambo V synopsis

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland

A pants-shittingly insane Rambo V synopsis

I just read this over on Ain't It Cool News. Apparently Harry has got his chubby fingers on a page from the latest treatment of Rambo V, comprising a very basic description of the plot. Boys and girls, this seems to mark the biggest, strangest, most unexpected, off-the-wall, genre-shattering genre-bending idea for a franchise action sequel that I have ever heard of...

Initially, I thought "HOAX!". But Stallone himself apparently confirms it in this voicemail message to Knowles.

URL: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42259

This sounds like simultaneously the lamest and most awesome idea for a Rambo sequel I could possibly imagine. David Morrell would be spinning in his grave if he wasn't still alive... or maybe not. You see, in the orginal Rambo novel, and to a much lesser extent the movie, the lead character is himself portrayed as an almost inhuman beast - a Frankenstein's monster created by military training and the dehumanising effects of guerrilla war. In a way, if done right, this could be the story come full circle. But if done wrong, it would be Rambo and the Force of Freedom vs. Sasquatch.

I don't know. It's striking how awful this idea sounds on the surface... but I have really odd hunch that, if it's made, it will be a lot better than it sounds.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    In a way, if done right, this could be the story come full circle..
    I felt that the last movie brought it pretty full circle already.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Circle? There's no circle. The first film was a circle. The rest were just straight lines. And now we're left with a franchise that looks like a sperm.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Circle? There's no circle. The first film was a circle. The rest were just straight lines. And now we're left with a franchise that looks like a sperm.
    heh heh true.

Not even the first film was a circle, though, to be fair. The original novel and plot was, sort of, but it was broken when the re-shot the ending and Rambo didn't die. And thanks to the altered ending, we now pretty much have Rambo fighting the Wolfman.

What I meant by "circle" was that it makes for an interesting role reversal. It's not so much a circle, as a reflection on the first movie. And absurd reflection, but a potentially interesting one. I will be there, opening weekend.

At the same time, I can't believe I'm saying this - it's Rambo vs. Snowbeast, and for some reason, I'm actually quite excited. It's a fucking stupid idea, why am I so intrigued!?
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 07-Sep-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    And then again. In the 80's, this would have been totally acceptable. Nobody would raise an eyebrow.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I, too, am really excited by this. I don't know why, because if this were any other franchise I'd say: "fuck this."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    come on, if stephen seagal can fight vampires, in a world where thats accepted on screen you know every single one of us would high five at this idea in our teens and probably all, whilst thinking its stupid in terms of the prequels would love to see this, its rambo fighting a resident evil monster in the arctic circle, thats fucking rad!

United States
    Rambo vs Predator....

I was a bit worried that it was going to be something like this when I heard the series going in a "new direction".

Sounds like it would be a fine, fun flick on its own, but not as a Rambo flick. 2 great tastes that don't taste great together.

There's still enough IMO you could do with the character that there's no need to start bringing in sci-fi elements.

I think even my geeked out, action movie lovin', testosterone fueled 1980's self would have greeted such an idea with "what the fuck?!?!"

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Rambo vs Predator....
    I dunno, it sounds a lot less like the calm, calculating Predator, that it does the crazy, ape-shit, gut-ripping beast from Night of the Demon:

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Rambo vs Predator....

I was a bit worried that it was going to be something like this when I heard the series going in a "new direction".

Sounds like it would be a fine, fun flick on its own, but not as a Rambo flick. 2 great tastes that don't taste great together.

There's still enough IMO you could do with the character that there's no need to start bringing in sci-fi elements.

I think even my geeked out, action movie lovin', testosterone fueled 1980's self would have greeted such an idea with "what the fuck?!?!"
    yeah, but when has anyone said rambos based in the real world?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Come on Hells, you know what he means. In the non sci-fi/non fantasy fiction genre. Just real world fiction stuff.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty far-fetched but it's within the realms of possibility. Its unrealistic, but it's within the realms of something that could physically happen. I mean, it doesn't actually stray into the supernatural or anything like that.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 07-Sep-2009 at 09:02 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Unfortunately I heard of this earliuer. Just when I thought they couldn't possibly ruin the character any more....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Come on Hells, you know what he means. In the non sci-fi/non fantasy fiction genre. Just real world fiction stuff.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty far-fetched but it's within the realms of possibility. Its unrealistic, but it's within the realms of something that could physically happen. I mean, it doesn't actually stray into the supernatural or anything like that.
    Bingo. Somehow, this strikes me as being like somebody's fan fic being made into an actual movie.

What next? Dirty Harry vs the Cylons? John McClaine vs Dracula? Martin Riggs & Roger Murtaugh team up with the X-Men to track down Magneto?

Sorry, I REALLY don't mean to piss on anybody's joy-gasm. Really, I don't. If you guys like this sort of thing then enjoy. But for some reason it just doesn't sit well with me.