View Poll Results: Did you like zombieland of shaun of the dead more?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shaun of the Dead

15 78.95%
  • Zombieland

4 21.05%
  • Neither, i don't care for horror comedies

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zombie land or Shaun, discuss.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Zombie land or Shaun, discuss.

So i saw zombieland earlier and loved it, it was the most fun ive had watching a film in a while, being a zombie comedy i instantly thought of comparing it to shaun of the dead and i honestly found myself liking zombieland more. Thing is im sure it wont be the same for most, but i think i know why. At least in part its a generational thing. both films are great, they both have good effects, performances, soundtracks, there both incredibly funny but still have tense moments. The only difference i can think of in terms of leaning is on the viewers part.
    bear with me hear, i might ramble.

Now i think people forget sometimes im actually one of the youngest people on her, along with mo' and craig and a few others we make up a much smaller younger generation of people on here, and honestly i think the shaun zombieland split is above 25 in favor of shaun, below might favor zombie land.

The key reason, for me at least, is the music. Though this is more a shaun thing, but a valid point to make. A prime example is the song "zombie nation" a techno/trance style beat in shaun, thats an example of the divide im talking about, im old enough to recognize these references to turn of the century culture, i'll still find them funny, but its that specific era were its not the music of your parents, which everyone hates when there younger but learn to dig in later years, its not "your music" its the music of kids a few years older who you think "what the fuck are you doing?" a lot of the stuff in shaun is like that, i get the joke and the reference, but just because i was there to experience it doesnt mean its "mine" like stuff about 5 years later y'know? its a sort of divide that zombieland, the more recent one doesnt have, i'll chuckle in a knowing way with the online games and mountain dew gags than up after 3 after a lock in scratching on lp's, because honestly i know tons of people who play videogames online, none except for dj's who even own lp's anymore. Its not just the subtle culture touches however.

Theres the zombies, the guns and the cars. now i first saw romeors flicks, the obvious shaun inspiration what?, 10-15 years ago for the first time? for older viewers thats a much shorter associative time compared to themselves. When people here first saw dawn when it came out in there early teens i saw 28 days later, so its a much more comfortable transition to have faster, more vicious zombies as its been the mainstream equivalent for the most part for my youth. for older viewers this is a pisstake compared to what they know and love, and it takes them right out of enjoying the movie, sometimes making it absurd, which is why im also not throwing undead into the zom-com ring tonight
    But shaun isn't that, its familiar, its your zombies, your notions, for all intents and purposes if wright and romero shook on it and agreed shaun was part of the original trilogy's canon most people wouldn't bat an eye because it has what you love and grew up with.
    Which brings me to the technology. most older zombie flick fans will see shaun, a guy in a suburban area, with one gun by the end, some friends and enemies and feel familiar with it, then look at the people of zombieland, with big suv's and hummers, ridiculous weapons they find by happenstance and all these expensive things as, again, a pisstake. Where an older viewer might just think "why is Tallahassee wasting those bullets?" younger viewers will just see the normal excess of our generation and more readily accept it, because people in the 30s grew up in a "shaun" world, drinking at the pub, going to work and hanging out with mates, its approachable. Seeing the likes of hummers as rich folks toys, playing videogames over the internet and recording some disaster on a camerphone or handycam is less familiar. They see it all around nowadays, like everyone, but its not the world they grew up in. Its the major difference between shaun and ZL. the england of shaun is anywhere in the world for older viewers, its what they grew up in, its ingrained on there being. For younger viewers the same is true for zombie land, we have grown up in a world where its second nature to send messages electronically instead of by mail. to have the luxury of outrageous clothes and cars, everyone does, but its the younger generations natural environment, they grew up in it, as opposed to older viewers, where it grew up around them.
    I hope im getting some semblance of coherency across but too compare the two, shaun is the zombie comedy of the current adult generations, zombieland is the example for us younger people. at least in my opinion. i love them both, there both excellent movies, but whichever you prefer i think honestly relies on which side of the age line you are, specifically around the turn of the century and the following change in the zombie as a movie monster. i love them both, but zombieland felt like the make up of the film was something i could easily accept, to be blunt i think its not as easy to sit down and get into for older viewers.

Of course its everyones opinion too, theres going to be older folks who love it, younger people who wont compared to shaun, this post isnt really to argue which is the better film, why i voted ZL, just why i think it may appeal to you, whichever member you happen to be reading this right now.

United States
    i had to vote for shaun, probably for many of the age/generational reasonings you listed, hellz. nice observations, btw.

never really dug running zombies..in fact, i really only dig the romero-verse of zombies, for the most part. so that's an automatic fail on zombieland's part. and there's barely any zombies in zombieland and a much less believable story overall...plus i thought the humor in shawn was much more natural and less forced.

i'd go into more detail, but i'm currently studying for a major exam tomorrow (supposed to be, at least) and am dealing with an intense re-entry of an ex gf in my life, so things are kinda jacked up here in professor chaos-ville at the moment.

i predict a resounding victory for shaun, however....perhaps if there were many younger members here it'd be a close match.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    see i think shauns writing is much smarter, but where it fails is its always simon pegg and nick frost reading the clever lines theyve written, it was impossible to immerse myself completely, i like shaun much more for the writing than the characters. thats why i prefer hot fuzz, its simon and nick in shaun, in fuzz its nicholas and danny.
    ZL's writing wasnt as smart but the characters felt like characters, not actors reading there lines, no matter how smarter they were, does that make sense?

Administrator

England
    Shaun by far..... i dont even beleive this has got all the way to a poll, i dont consider zombieland that much of a movie.

United States
    I loved both movies, but Shaun has the edge for me. It was just a better movie. Nuff said.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    As much as I love Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead wins naturally.

This'll be a walk-over.

United States
    Now i think people forget sometimes im actually one of the youngest people on her,
    Who is she?
    along with mo' and craig and a few others
    Dam, all of you guys are on her? What a tramp....

But seriously, I understand the points that you make in your post. The ....age difference thing...that you mention would apply to many movie situations across many different generations. However, in the grand scheme of things, that doesnt have much if anything to do with relative "quality" of two different movies, only the ability of different age groups to properly perceive quality. And even having said that, there are some people of older age groups that let things like you mention affect their judgements of things. Some people, regardless of their age, automatically dismiss a movie in black and white, under the assumption that it is "too old", they "dont like" black and white, the movie MUST suck if its in B&W, etc. I think most people here on HPOTD realize that there is nothing inherently bad or shitty about B&W. Good writing, acting, directing, etc. make a movie good, not the color of the film stock.

As far as the two movies in question, I like both movies. They are totally different movies made in different times with different styles. As others have mentioned already, even though I really like ZOmbieland, I think the writing and humor was more clever and smart with Shawn. That isnt a dig on ZL, just props for Shawn. I could go on longer, but gotta leave for work now.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had to go with Zombieland just because of Woody Harrelsons character. Technically I don't really consider Shaun a horror comedy like Zombieland, because Shaun turns into a full fledged horror film in the last 30 minutes of the flick, where as Zombieland remains tongue firmly planted in rotted cheek from start to finish, making it a straight up comedy with a dash of horror sprinkled within to keep the mix interesting for horror fans all the while appealing to the comedy fans.

So for me its Zombieland for the comedy horror win, but Shaun will always be in my top 5 zombie films, but comedy to comedy, ZL wins over it just because of the quest for the last twinkie.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I had to go with Zombieland just because of Woody Harrelsons character. Technically I don't really consider Shaun a horror comedy like Zombieland, because Shaun turns into a full fledged horror film in the last 30 minutes of the flick, where as Zombieland remains tongue firmly planted in rotted cheek from start to finish, making it a straight up comedy with a dash of horror sprinkled within to keep the mix interesting for horror fans all the while appealing to the comedy fans.

So for me its Zombieland for the comedy horror win, but Shaun will always be in my top 5 zombie films, but comedy to comedy, ZL wins over it just because of the quest for the last twinkie.
    Well i see i disagree, i think shaun is a fantastic horror comedy all the way but having said that i loved spaced, big train.. peggs other stuff.

No disrespect but i really didnt expect you americans to get shaun at all, i think its very british humour and im honestly suprised it fared over there at all.

Just shows what a brilliant film it is.

Zombieland on the other hand, gave me neither a fright or really a laugh, i mean there was a few giggles here and there but for the most part the cinema was silent.. the humour, like the scares, was very stale and predictable.

Super Moderator

United States
    Both are great films and I don't think they warrant much of a comparison. Yes, they both had comedy as a key element, but they seemed to approach things very differently, yet delivered well for me as a viewer.

I refuse to vote (at this time)!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Now i think people forget sometimes im actually one of the youngest people on her
    Who is she?Dam, all of you guys are on her? What a tramp....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Zombieland on the other hand, gave me neither a fright or really a laugh, i mean there was a few giggles here and there but for the most part the cinema was silent.. the humour, like the scares, was very stale and predictable.
    I can't top that. You said everything I wanted to say about the film.

United States
    "SHAUN" = brilliant zombie-comedy with entertaining characters.

"ZOMBIELAND" = stupid comedy with stupid characters.

No comparison.

If you want a comparison for "ZOMBIELAND" -- I'd throw up "RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 2" as a comparison...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    I like Zombieland better. It probably wasn't as funny as Shaun. And it was not as much an homage to the Romero work as Shaun. But I liked it better. I thought it was a better blend of horror and comedy.

I felt like Zombieland was a wonderful horror movie setting that became a comedy by inserting quirky characters and having some great interplay between them. With different characters (and remove the comedic filming elements) this is a horror movie. The zombies were always zombies. They never broke character for gags. I got into the zombie survival rules and watching how each of the characters managed in the zombie world.

Shaun was a great movie, but I think it sacrificed too much plausibility for the laughs. It lost me in places. The zombies held to some rules sometimes, but not others. It was very British in that it would step outside of itself for a gag. But, that meant I never could get into it as a survival movie. A great comedy - but nothing more.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    LOL how was zombieland in any way a horror setting?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well i see i disagree, i think shaun is a fantastic horror comedy all the way but having said that i loved spaced, big train.. peggs other stuff.

No disrespect but i really didnt expect you americans to get shaun at all, i think its very british humour and im honestly suprised it fared over there at all.

Just shows what a brilliant film it is.

I got Shaun, and I love Shaun, but Zombieland was funnier to me. Shaun is still a great comedy, but is also a love letter to Romero whereas Zombieland made its own rules and aside from zombies and flesh eating was original in its approach to the survival aspect.

Shaun is just Romero done with British flare and brit comedy, nothing more nothing less, but still a kick ass flick. I just prefer ZL more.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*