Thread: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - Wanna see it!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - Wanna see it!

This is the new Nic Cage flick that has been getting great word of mouth. Ebert gave it 4 stars and says this is the Nic cage we know, remember and love. Fan feedback has been great and I look forward to seeing this flick tonight.

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi45876505/

Plus we have Val Kilmer in the cast along with Eva Mendes... Plus Werner Herzog directed.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I remember the original, Abel Ferrera movie...saw it when I was about 15...hated it to be honest, but I've always wanted to go back to it.

I'll do that before watching this remake (I read it's a remake, but my knowledge extends only thus far). I loathe Nicholas Cage, his slimy voice makes me feel like my eyelids are being eaten off.

One good thing about remakes, sequels, spin offs etc is that you always get exposure to the usually more superior movie before the potential abomination is released, on TV and cheap DVDs etc
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Can't really think of a time when I loved Nicholas Cage.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sure i'll eventually see it, but it's not really reeling me in.

But I nominate this flick to be a contender for the worst title in history.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Nov-2009 at 10:28 PM.

capncnut
    Yeah, I've been pumped for this for a good year or so now. Hope it's worth the wait.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I will post my review tonight... Going to the 9:40 show

UPDATE:

Tonight I drove on into Bethesda, MD to catch Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, the new Werner Herzog helmed, Nic Cage starring vehicle semi-based on the Abel Ferrara flick of the same name from 1992 starring Harvey Keitel. Although billed as a remake, Werner and the cast have commented to the contrary and it was upon the insistence of the studio and Edward R. Pressman (Producer) the film carry the Bad Lieutenant title, the script was simply called Port of Call: New Orleans.

Basically we follow a corrupt, gambling and drug addicted junkie of a cop who is on the path of self destruction while trying to solve a drug related murder of an illegal immigrant family from Africa, whom just happen to be dealing heroin in a neighborhood controlled by a bigger drug delaer played by XIZIBIT.

This version of BLT is no where near as compelling as the Abel Ferrara version, nor is it as dark or deranged as Abel's version either, however, it is a somewhat enjoyable flick, and I say somewhat because when you watch a Werner Herzog narrative style film it ususally takes more than one viewing to really understand what the man is up to with these types of projects.

The film is cross between Abel's version, but much lighter, and also Fear and Loathing in Las vegas and of course Werner interjects his signature fish eye handheld documentary trademark camera work from time to time just to let you know he is the man in charge here. The reason I mention F&L is because during Nic's more drugged out moments he begins hallucinating about Iguana's that no one else can see, and it reminded me a lot about the Bat scene from F&L.

Nic Cage turns in a pretty great performance here, which heavily reminded me of Leaving Las Vegas, infact right down to the fact he has a hooker for a girlfriend, played by the always sexy Eva Mendes, my only issue with Eva is that she has the emotional range of a boulder, but Nic, man, he just beams across the screen and it is the Nic Cage I have missed since Leaving Las Vegas. His character, while flawed wasn't always fucked up, but a medical issue regarding his back and the constant dosage of pain killers leads him on a wild addiction that is probably one of the weirdest trips I have taken in my life.

Nic's characters background isn't completely flushed other than we know he has an alcoholic father, and step mother, and of course his hooker girfriend. then there is a his bookie played by horror veteran Brad Dourif, and his equally sleazy partner, val Kilmer who is greatly under used which is a fucking shame, but we do get the depths of Nic's depravity, and at what lengths he will go to in order to get his fix, including accosting couples leaving a club, taking their drugs and raping the guys girlfriend while making him watch, and getting sheer enjoyment out of it... Like I said this is the Nic Cage we have been needing to see for 14 years.

The screenplay is nothing super special, and a majority of the supporting cast is a fucking joke, but you forget all of that and you just take the ride, and it is a decent ride, but nowhere near the great ride the original BLT (1992) was and the fun we had with Harvey in the original.

Its hard not to compare this film to the 1992 original simply because of the title and premise, but it simply cannot deliver on that level, but it does deliver in its own dark comedic way, and it is a dark comedy every step of the way. My single biggest issue though is I think it needed a director better than Werner. I mean I love his documentaries, but his narrative work is still kind of iffy, but he has a way of making you enjoy what you're watching even if you really don't completely understand what you are watching.

All in all it is worth a viewing, and I think most would agree this is Nic's best work since LLV, and I repeatedly bring up this performance because I felt it was just an awesome thing to watch, and something I won't ever forget, even if the rest of the movie leaves you scratching your head wondering WTF did I just watch.

The film sort of comes off like a TV cop drama, but the backdrop of Katrina ravaged New Orleans helps pave the way for a darker mood set within the film, but again it just shouldn't really be called Bad Lieutenant, drop that from the title and you still have a good Nic Cage film that should entertain most who get into these types of sleazy cop dramas.

My final score... 7 out of 10

Sorry if the writing is all over the place, but I am still pissed off because some jackass hit my car (Not the stang, my other car) because he wasn't paying attention while backing out of his parking space and I have that on my mind which is slightly distracting me a bit... however, in the end... Check out the film it is at least worth a watch.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 25-Nov-2009 at 05:18 AM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So no comments from anyone? Strange.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

capncnut
    Sorry, Deej. Didn't see this.

I was hoping for a bit more praise but seven out of ten isn't too bad. As a huge fan of BLT and Ferrara's work in general (bang up for Chelsea On The Rocks btw) I suppose it was a bit much to expect a better film.

I will catch this sometime but it will more than likely be on DVD.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Interesting review, its confirmed and affirmed certain issues and hopes I had for it, so I'll see this out of curiosity...when it comes on telly
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Its worth one viewing. I just wish Val Kilmer wasn't wasted like he is here. So much talent just sitting on the sidelines and never exploited which I think is one mistake Herzog made with this flick.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I borrowed this from relative and gave it a shot last night. All things considered, your review sounds spot on. Cage does give a pretty good performance(and i've hated him lately), Kilmer is wasted, and the pimp my ride moron took me out of it.

The ending could have used some work. By the time Cage is smoking crack and the shootout happens, I was expecting a sharp downward spiral leading to a gruesome death. By the end of the movie I actually wanted him to die. It seemed fitting. Instead we're left with a "one year later" title, he's a captain, he's a father, and he's still on drugs. Pfffttt...

Of course there's the hint of him getting help from the jail cell guy, but come on. It felt like a cop out.

And for Nic Cage being "Bad Lieutenant", Kilmer seems pretty bad off from the start. He wants to let the jail cell guy die, he wants to kill the dealers for no other reason than he can, etc. Seems like he was further gone than Cage, but then we hardly ever see him...

Anyway....6 or 7 out of 10 sounds about right. Nothing great, but not bad either. Worth a Netflix rental.

And would someone PLEASE tell Nic Cage to accept the fact that he is getting old and to stop trying "hip" things with his hair. Cut that shit off and embrace your receeding hairline, man.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Aug-2010 at 01:48 PM.