Thread: App of the dead and GAr on L4D 2

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

App of the dead and GAr on L4D 2

Not sure if any of you have seen this but it's got Gar talking for 15 minutes so it's atleast worth a watch.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...to-iPhone.html

Last edited by darth los; 04-Jun-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    interesting interview, kinda got the feeling george didnt wanna be there, but neat to hear him talk about resident evil- i get the feeling he's a little sour it was bought out from him (and hes not the only one right? ) but also interesting to hear he would like to do a caribbean zombie flick.
    Honestly if he had the funding my first guess wouldve been a cruise ship or something y'know?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    interesting interview, kinda got the feeling george didnt wanna be there, but neat to hear him talk about resident evil- i get the feeling he's a little sour it was bought out from him (and hes not the only one right? ) but also interesting to hear he would like to do a caribbean zombie flick.
    Honestly if he had the funding my first guess wouldve been a cruise ship or something y'know?

I think for the most part he looked "uncomfortable" because he was being asked to comment on something he considers a farce of an abomination of what he created and that's all the host seemed to want to talk about.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    When he was talking about how fast and ADHD the gameplay was and wondering if it was possible to get away with anything more subdued and cerebral in a zombie videogame these days, I couldn't help but think of something along the lines of Stalker or Fallout 3, which, as we were discussing in the other thread, is basically EXACTLY what most of us want from a Dead game too!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    When he was talking about how fast and ADHD the gameplay was and wondering if it was possible to get away with anything more subdued and cerebral in a zombie videogame these days, I couldn't help but think of something along the lines of Stalker or Fallout 3, which, as we were discussing in the other thread, is basically EXACTLY what most of us want from a Dead game too!

You know, Gar is an old man so he might not be a savvy to the video game medium but think of the possibilities if he were to make his films video games instead.

We could theoretically see what happened to fran a peter for example and use the actually actors to boot! Very exciting stuff.

I'll tell you what cgi has nothing on what possible in a video game. Sky's the limit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'll tell you what cgi has nothing on what possible in a video game. Sky's the limit.

Oh, so there's a limit?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You know, Gar is an old man so he might not be a savvy to the video game medium but think of the possibilities if he were to make his films video games instead.
    Wasn't this already tried, but aborted with City of the Dead?

I see what you're saying, though. This is one thing I've been shouting ever since Dead Rising and Left For Dead were released. Get together with Romero and make a game that has you play through the events of Dawn, but also continues the story after Peter and Fran take off. It would have to make it's money back, if not make a large profit.

Sometimes I think it's only a matter of time until Rubenstein sees the potential money in a Dawn and Day video game franchise....

As for the swarm of questions about L4D to Romero....REALLY? If you know even the slightest bit of info on Romero, you know he's not going to be into a game with runners. Wouldn't it make much more sense to show him Dead Rising 1 or 2? Slow zombies, mall, etc....see the connection?
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Jun-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As for the swarm of questions about L4D to Romero....REALLY? If you know even the slightest bit of info on Romero, you know he's not going to be into a game with runners. Wouldn't it make much more sense to show him Dead Rising 1 or 2? Slow zombies, mall, etc....see the connection?

Exactly what I was thinking. You could tell with each successive question he wanted to strangle that dude more and more.

Something like, "I don't know what this crap is but they're not my zombies."

At the very least he's being recognized as the godfather of the genre.

That's something no?

On Rubenstein though, It beats me why he doesn't pimp out dawn more than he does. That could be a goldmine if handled correctly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    Yeah, but that was because Hip Games went tits up.

As for a Romero licensed zombie game, Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green bombed like a kamikaze pilot. Gamespot's glowing 1.9 out of 10 review probably didn't help much either.

That had to be the worst game I've ever seen. The production value seemed to be non existent.

My 5 year old could have done better with windows 95' dude.

When i said that i was thinking of something glossy like L4D 2.

A GAr game along those line would be the pinnacle of zombie games. (but I'm biased so....)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As for a Romero licensed zombie game, Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green bombed like a kamikaze pilot. Gamespot's glowing 1.9 out of 10 review probably didn't help much either.
    Yeah, that game sucked but it was kind of expected, ya know? Just the studio trying to turn out a quick product in time with the release of the movie.

I'm thinking of a more fan-friendly approach to a Dawn/Day/Romero game. Something I guess you could relate to the Ghostbusters game. While not a perfect game by any means, it was generally pleasing to the fans and brought a certain respect with it. You get the original people involved, they want to make the best game or "sequel" possible, and a company without a STRICT deadline.....it could be done...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oddly enough, the game has since acquired some cult-ish status. Probably from biased 'dieGARds'.

Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon got 1 out of 10 too, but it has a place in my heart because I right love ol' Brucey.

Oh, I've thought about a Valve/Romero game for quite some time now. I even had a dream about one once. All I remember was that I was playing Fran, and Flyboy told me to fill up the chopper with the pump until it "spits back out at me". It was quite similar to Half Life 2 when you have to plug in the teleportation device, if you get me.

One can only dream, eh?
    Shit, I spend 1/3 of my life doing it.

But the cult status of the game is probably due to the mods that came out for it.

Agian, another p.c. treat i missed out on.

One day I'm going to have to break down and buy a rig man.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I hear a lot of babbling about how a shambler FPS would not be challenging because of the speed factor. This is easily remedied - just add more of the bastards to the map with damage set to max (ie: one bite and game over).

Which is how it would normally be right?

But i think other human elements have to be a part of that game as well in order to compensate for the shamblers. GAr articulated it perfectly in the L4D 2 interview he gave. It's the humans that mess things up and ultimately allow the ghouls to overtake them.

It could have looters, rougue military, non cooperative civies who throw a monkeywrench in the whole plan, etc.

UK
    I think someone needs to sitdown with George and show him Red Dead Redemption and say: "That. With zombies." then give him the phone number for Rockstar.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    I think someone needs to sitdown with George and show him Red Dead Redemption and say: "That. With zombies." then give him the phone number for Rockstar.
    We've been talking of such things in other threads too.

Basically, Fallout 3 - but with shambler zombies - and in such a world, the people would be just as much of a threat. Then of course, the number of shambler zombies - it'd increase over time to go along with the story - as would the amount and, effect of the, chaos as time passed.

That would be amazing, frankly.

It'd be just as much about the other humans as it would be about the hoardes of shambling zombies. Kinda like how Dawn of the Dead isn't really about the zombies, but the zombies remain a significant portion of the plot and over all vibe. It's more about the survivors - both good and bad.