Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince quoted as saying "the internet is over"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Prince quoted as saying "the internet is over"

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05...internets.html

-internet shocked at how out of touch aging musician is.

Now i love his older stuff, my mates call me a faggot but rasberry beret is always on my ipod, but really? the internet is usless? no one will use itunes anymore?

I genuinely don't think this man realizes just how much his income in the modern era will be FROM the internet exclusively.
    I can't tell if he thinks we will all go back into hmv clamoring for wasteful, environmentally unsound CD's we will rip once and then leave down the back of the couch for 3 years but this man is crazy. -er. If he thinks we will all up and dump what we have.

I've got around 7200 mp3's on my imac alone. with more on other drives and devices. why? because they dont physically exist. i dont have two bloody walls of plastic and discs. Would you trade that for cumbersome towers of physical media?

No, its not the 20th century, of course you would'nt.

Sorry prince, you crazy.

or mad. yeah, U MAD.

-bear in mind the column is noteworthy, but i though this man had been dead for like 20 years so...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05...internets.html

-internet shocked at how out of touch aging musician is.

Now i love his older stuff, my mates call me a faggot but rasberry beret is always on my ipod, but really? the internet is usless? no one will use itunes anymore?

I genuinely don't think this man realizes just how much his income in the modern era will be FROM the internet exclusively.
    I can't tell if he thinks we will all go back into hmv clamoring for wasteful, environmentally unsound CD's we will rip once and then leave down the back of the couch for 3 years but this man is crazy. -er. If he thinks we will all up and dump what we have.

I've got around 7200 mp3's on my imac alone. with more on other drives and devices. why? because they dont physically exist. i dont have two bloody walls of plastic and discs. Would you trade that for cumbersome towers of physical media?

No, its not the 20th century, of course you would'nt.

Sorry prince, you crazy.

or mad. yeah, U MAD.

-bear in mind the column is noteworthy, but i though this man had been dead for like 20 years so...
    Crazy. I think there will always exist some form of 'physical' CD or Blu-Ray or what not in lieu of digital downloading/files. If given a choice between "downloading" a film to save (even if blu-ray quality) over actually having it as a 'physical' blu-ray (even if it cost a few bucks more) -- I'd much rather prefer having the physical thing. There's something to be said about actually owning a physical item you can see and touch as opposed to it all just existing on the computer. If I'm just going to watch it (i.e. renting it) I don't have an issue of doing it online -- but as far as owning I prefer to actually have a "physical" copy of it.

With that said, the days of going to spend $15 on a CD or $20 on a film are completely over. I know I won't spend more than $2 to rent a film (Why should I? Red Box I can get it for $1 and with my Netflix subscription I can get each film for less than $1 legitimately or if I wanted to I could just find the film online for free to watch) and I don't ever see myself spending more than $1 for a song. It's just absurd to think that people in today's time and age will continue shelling out $15 for a CD and $20 for a film to own -- it's just not reasonable. Every time I see people going into a Blockbuster spending $5 plus bucks to rent a film I always scratch my head in confusion as to why someone would spend this type of money (and probably says something about why their archaic business model is completely failing).

If I "have" to own a film (which usually I don't, I'm content to rent it as I'll probably just watch it once or twice anyway) I'm not spending more than $10 on it (and I don't buy any new DVD's -- everything from here on out is Blu-Ray). I'll make an exception for a couple of series blu-ray's, but even then that's something that is few and far between.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Being that he charges quite a bit more for tickets because they give out his latest cd at shows....I think he'll make it on his current fanbase alone.

That being said, he is kind of shooting himself in the foot...

England
    I'll never give up physical media, be it books, CD's, DVD's or Blu-Rays.

I have never paid for a digital download of any kind either, and I don't intend to.

I wouldn't trade my book cases, CD racks and DVD shelves for all the HDD's/flash drives in the world...there is nothing more satisfying than pulling a much loved book/CD/Movie off the shelf after perusing your collection.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I'll never give up physical media, be it books, CD's, DVD's or Blu-Rays.

I have never paid for a digital download of any kind either, and I don't intend to.

I wouldn't trade my book cases, CD racks and DVD shelves for all the HDD's/flash drives in the world...there is nothing more satisfying than pulling a much loved book/CD/Movie off the shelf after perusing your collection.

i used to agree. then i through of the trees and recourses that made them.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Amen to this. I agree 100%. There's nothing better than actually holding a book in your hands (especially if it's an older book) and sifting through the pages and smelling the scent of the book with the yellowing pages/scratches and everything. It's part of the pleasure of reading, as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'll be considered as being "old-fashioned" in as little as 5-10 years for this reason, but the Kindle or whatever else just doesn't compare (nor would it ever) to holding a book in your hands.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    Just for the record, I'm not some primitive ludite, I have around 60GB of CD's on my computer at 320kbps for use with my MP3 player, but there is no way that I'd ever go fully digital and get rid of my CD's.

JDFP, you are spot on mate, kindle might be trendy and the latest thing, but our books don't need batteries or a power source to work, and yeah, there is just something really good about thumbing through an old book.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    theres countless other people saying more important things that dont make sense

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The man is off his rocker.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    He got it wrong - the "internet" isn't over, "Prince" is over.

What a delusional nutbag.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    [url]
    No but his music career sure has-been. (pun intended )

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    This Just In:

"Prince quoted as saying he's still relevant"
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    This Just In:

"Prince quoted as saying he's still relevant"
    Exactly. When was the last good song he made? The 80's?

He never got the noteriety Michael Jackson did but best believe he's a strange little spitfuck as well.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Exactly. When was the last good song he made? The 80's?

He never got the noteriety Michael Jackson did but best believe he's a strange little spitfuck as well.

Yeah...felt my first boob to "Purple Rain"...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The man is off his rocker.

so was george bush jr. and his father before him, prince was smart enough not to try politics. maybe dubya shoulda stayed in baseball?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    No but his music career sure has-been. (pun intended )

for the last 20 years? really?

so the last 20 years for prince went like this, 14 records totaling over 22 million sales(half of those with no record deal or promotional tours)