Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Kurtz interview

United States

Gary Kurtz interview

This is an awesome and candid interview with Gary Kurtz, the producer on the first two original Star Wars films. He details the original outline for Return of the Jedi that would have been a hell of a lot better than what was filmed. Great piece.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...kurtz-wer.html

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have to admit I never liked Hayden Christensen in the role of Anakin Skywalker.
    I doubt you could find a single person to disagree.

As for the series turning into a toy marketing scheme - that's pretty obvious from Jedi. I still like the film but it does have some major problems, as he addressed. Especially Death Star 2. Always thought that was silly...

Ireland
    What a pity Lucas didn't bugger off and leave Kurtz at the helm.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, I'll say this for good news: Kurtz working on Panzer 88 is great, as far as I'm concerned! I just wish he was also directing it...

Filming kicks off later this year in Eastern Europe and the story is described as a a creature feature set around a group of blue-collar fighters in the German tank regiments in October 1944.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

ViP

United States
    I'm still a Lucas fan. Am I the only one left?

United States
    I don't think, I like the idea of Han being killed off in the film. Wouldn't have that made the rescue from Jabba's palace pointless then?

England
    The only change I'd make to Jedi would be to show the consiquences of blowing up a 900km wide construction made of exotic metals in low orbit...

Or just place the DSII shield generator on Kashyyyk and have a believable battle scene with hordes of wookies attacking the Imperials.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

Or just place the DSII shield generator on Kashyyyk and have a believable battle scene with hordes of wookies attacking the Imperials.
    Why didn't they do that?

Was Lucas just like "Fack that!", and wanted Ewoks or was it for budgetary reasons?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Why didn't they do that?

Was Lucas just like "Fack that!", and wanted Ewoks or was it for budgetary reasons?
    I've no idea, but it makes perfect sense, the Imperials use Wookies as slave labour on certain projects (like the DSI allegedly). What better place to construct DSII than their homeworld...and what better race for the Rebels to recruit to help them bring down the Empire!

Then again, Lucas made the "Star Wars Holiday Special"...who knows what goes on in that twisted mind?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    I've no idea, but it makes perfect sense, the Imperials use Wookies as slave labour on certain projects (like the DSI allegedly). What better place to construct DSII than their homeworld...and what better race for the Rebels to recruit to help them bring down the Empire!
    Meh, I don't know I would rather have had a new race then Wookies, or Ewoks. Wookies already lost their novety too me after 'Empire'.

Undisclosed
    The only change I'd make to Jedi would be to show the consiquences of blowing up a 900km wide construction made of exotic metals in low orbit...
    +1

Why didn't they do that?

The original idea, I believe even prior to Empire, was to have a battle on the Wookie planet depicting a primitive Wookie race teaming up with the rebels against the Empire. I recall reading about this in some magazine in the late 70s along with a description of an aquatic alien race which I'd assume eventually became the Mon Calamari.

At some point, Lucas decided that rather than utilize the imposing Wookies tribe, he'd create an race of midget teddy bears as the ultimate underdogs to rally against the technologically-advanced Empire.

I don't mind the Ewoks as much as the Muppet show rejects that seem to inhabit the background of Jedi. Even the Rancor looks like something from a Jim Henson production.

United States
    Count your blessings "Jedi" was made in '83.

If it had been made in today's time the Ewoks would have all been fake-looking CGI creatures instead of more realistic looking puppets.

That's "progress" for you.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    :
    The original idea, I believe even prior to Empire, was to have a battle on the Wookie planet depicting a primitive Wookie race teaming up with the rebels against the Empire.
    Primitive? It was already shown they could use technology in 'Star Wars' and 'Empire' though.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I don't mind the Ewoks as much as the Muppet show rejects that seem to inhabit the background of Jedi. Even the Rancor looks like something from a Jim Henson production.
    I'd probably agree with you, but damn it I love that blue elephant, and cyclops alien! It kinda, wouldn't be 'Jedi' for me without them muppets.

Though that Syn Snootles puppet was freaking terrible.

Ireland
    Why didn't they do that?

Money.

Lucas saw the cutesy toy/teddybear angle and went for it.

Think about it. Ewok is a household name, even with people that have never seen the film and it's not mentioned once in the entire series.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Primitive? It was already shown they could use technology in 'Star Wars' and 'Empire' though.
    Chewbacca was shown to be skilled with technology, but I believe that the original concept was for the Wookie planet to be more primitive. At least that is what was being reported during the speculative period between Star Wars and Empire.

It was often pointed out during Jedi's release that the central irony of Star Wars is the use of cutting-edge technology to convey an anti-technological message.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Money.

Lucas saw the cutesy toy/teddybear angle and went for it.

Think about it. Ewok is a household name, even with people that have never seen the film and it's not mentioned once in the entire series.
    Ha! You mean Ewok®