Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zombie strength levels

Undisclosed

Zombie strength levels

This was probably covered already. I know most of the forum wants the slow moving zombies in films. I want to know what everyone thinks about how strong a zombie is. Ok if there is a brand new freshly awake one would he be at his strongest and fastest of his undead life? Does he get weaker as time goes on or if he loses mass. A part of movies I hate is when a mostly skeletal zombie is attacking someone. If there is no meat and connective tissue, I don't want a skeleton walking around. I like Max Brooks explanations of zombies pushing their way out of a grave is not in his stories. I also like that he says zombies don't decompose like a dead body would because natural decomposition stops or is at least slowed down once infected. I don't like animal zombies either, I think it should only be a disease that takes out humans. Zombies should not eat animals either that just takes away from the horror part of it. But he also talks about zombies eating so much their guts explode, so they don't get any nourishment or replenish any energy no matter how much they eat. Wouldn't they get weaker with time? Just wondering what everyone's take was on this. James
    "I want to be apple pie and baseball but when people look at me they see nachos and a cock-fight"

Undisclosed
    George Romero never used Grave Rising Zombies.

PS: Why the hell does Max Brooks get all the credit for Zombies? I loved World War Z, but I am sick of people citing Max Brooks like he is the Zombie god.

Pet peeve, I don't know why.

EDIT: Look into the Playdough effect.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tongue View Post
    George Romero never used Grave Rising Zombies.

PS: Why the hell does Max Brooks get all the credit for Zombies? I loved World War Z, but I am sick of people citing Max Brooks like he is the Zombie god.

EDIT: Look into the Playdough effect.

The only reason he got published is because his father is. GAr didn't have that advantage.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

I wouldn't say he gets all the credit for zombies, he just wrote two detailed and highly regarded books on the subject. If anyone is credited for the "modern" zombie, it's Romero...

As for zombies and their skin/muscles.....I would like to point out my favorite of silly zombies: TARMAN! It's amazing how that fella can pronounce Brains with absolutely no lips.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I wouldn't say he gets all the credit for zombies, he just wrote two detailed and highly regarded books on the subject. If anyone is credited for the "modern" zombie, it's Romero...
    I guess you are right. I am still bitter about it for some reason.

I was in a "Zombie Discussion room" at a random Anime convention, and a guy asked; "What is your favorite Zombie kill." and I said "Screwdriver in the the ear!" and was glared at by the entire room like I was crazy. Then he simply said "That's not in in any Max Brooks books.". I facepalmed.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The only reason he got published is because his father is. GAr didn't have that advantage.

That is true. Though I loved WWZ, it makes me wonder if it would have had the same fate as many of the other, good Zombie novels that don't have the 'Brooks' name on them.
    Last edited by Dr Tongue; 25-Aug-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Undisclosed

As for zombies and their skin/muscles.....I would like to point out my favorite of silly zombies: TARMAN! It's amazing how that fella can pronounce Brains with absolutely no lips.

Tarman is the first that came to mind, second was the half lady that gave them all the info on brains. I don't think Brooks is the God, I just think his explainations made sense. Romero never tried to explain, he just went with it and let us try to come up with our own reasons. I heard one time that anything that had to do with Star Wars had to be approved by Lucas, comics, novels, etc. Romero could have done the same but he pretty much let anyone give their interpretation on what he created.
    "I want to be apple pie and baseball but when people look at me they see nachos and a cock-fight"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamn View Post
    This was probably covered already. I know most of the forum wants the slow moving zombies in films. I want to know what everyone thinks about how strong a zombie is. Ok if there is a brand new freshly awake one would he be at his strongest and fastest of his undead life? Does he get weaker as time goes on or if he loses mass.
    Well, in Day of the Dead the walking corpses are about a year or two old probably, and have enough strength to rip a guy's head off, and complete rip off the lower half of a man's body.

United States
    I was in a "Zombie Discussion room" at a random Anime convention, and a guy asked; "What is your favorite Zombie kill." and I said "Screwdriver in the the ear!" and was glared at by the entire room like I was crazy. Then he simply said "That's not in in any Max Brooks books.". I facepalmed.
    That's pretty awful. I feel the same way when someone says they love Dawn of the Dead. .and I perk up . . all surprised and ready to talk about one of my favorite subjects. But then they say something that makes me realize that they are talking about Dawn 2004. Now I happen to like Dawn 2004. . . .but when one is speaking about "Dawn of the Dead". .. . one should always mean the original. And if the person doesn't know it's a remake? Or they prefer the remake? . . . .oh the rage. . . . . it boils in me . . . .surely they can feel the heat of that rage. . . . surely they know that their respect in my eyes has been obliterated in the flames of my mighty furnace of loathing. . . . . . and I lament . . . .I lament for mankind. . . .I lament for us all. . . .alas. . .alack. . .oh lamentable day!!!!!!

but all that just looks like this. . ..

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    That's pretty awful. I feel the same way when someone says they love Dawn of the Dead. .and I perk up . . all surprised and ready to talk about one of my favorite subjects. But then they say something that makes me realize that they are talking about Dawn 2004. Now I happen to like Dawn 2004. . . .but when one is speaking about "Dawn of the Dead". .. . one should always mean the original. And if the person doesn't know it's a remake? Or they prefer the remake? . . . .oh the rage. . . . . it boils in me . . . .surely they can feel the heat of that rage. . . . surely they know that their respect in my eyes has been obliterated in the flames of my mighty furnace of loathing. . . . . . and I lament . . . .I lament for mankind. . . .I lament for us all. . . .alas. . .alack. . .oh lamentable day!!!!!!

but all that just looks like this. . ..

My reaction in that situation always looks more like THIS:

"I WEEP for the future!!!"
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 25-Aug-2010 at 05:12 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Time to face the truth, fellas. Kids these days would never like a character driven film like the original Dawn. To them....the single note characters in the remake are rich with life.

What drives me up the wall is when I wear a Dawn shirt and someone starts talking about the remake. The shirt has the zombie stephen on it, for fucks sake!!!
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Aug-2010 at 12:54 PM.

United Kingdom
    Time to face the truth, fellas. Kids these days would never like a character driven film like the original Dawn.
    Mine did.
    Kill 'em All

Twitching

United States
    Sadly,
    The exception that proves the rule Ghost. With Romero working so intently on dismantling his legacy as he churns out sub-Uwe Boll-standard film after film, no one under 30-35 at a minimum, with the RARE FEW EXCEPTIONS of those younglings who benefit from the wisdom of loving elders, willing to cultivate a sense of taste and desire for quality in what they watch in their progeny is going to remember the Pure Awesome that was the Original Trilogy.

In fact, you can actually SEE the last scant few drops of Days-of-Yore-Quality talent leaving Romero's veins as one watches the few really good scenes from Land.

United States
    Yeah, I remember that from Dawn. Awesome scene!! When Anna killed the wheelbarrow lady, right?

(( @ clang and you all))
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    That's actually an interesting question..I think that zombie strength depends only on one thing..

WHAT'S IN THE SCRIPT!!!

But yeah, on the one hand, they're weak, you can push em over (beat 'em off and blow 'em down, as our favorite sheriff liked to say..ew..), but then again, they can tear someone into pieces, which, I have it on good authority, is pretty tough to do..

As for Max Brooks..I dunno..his books seem okay, but this whole new zombie generation post DAWN 04..I just don't know.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

United States
    I missed this topic somehow.

Zombies are as strong as they need to be in the movies, so I'll just disregard that and give opinions instead.

I think they should be weak. Very weak. They don't have to be strong to bite someone, which is the whole point of their existence. They're dead, so they should be slow, weak, you-name-it.

Limb-from-limb type stuff, barricade breakthroughs, and other such things should only happen when zombies are bringing the numbers. A whole bunch of them acting at once would be able to do it. But one? Should never, ever happen.