History of Violence ($9.99)
    The Mask of Zorro ($12.99)
    Invincible ($14.99)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You've got to hold the record for the most blu ray threads on hpotd.

Bought The Social Network last night from Best Buy for 16 bucks. About halfway through the making-of doc which is great so far. Can't wait to hit the commentary...
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jan-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: .

United Kingdom
    Last few Blu-Rays I bought were:

The Wizard Of Oz £9.31 (HMV online)
    Monsters Inc £10.99 (HMV online)
    Alien Anthology £30 (HMV in store, bargain)
    Dawn Of The Dead £10.99 (HMV online)
    Day Of The Dead £10.99 (HMV online)

Monsters Inc. is fucking incredible on BR.
    Kill 'em All

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    All the PIXAR flicks look fantastic on Blu-Ray.

My Totals stand at 378 Blu-Rays - 445 HD DVD's
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 20-Jan-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: BACON
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Recent purchases include:

Kick Ass (December)
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World (December)
    Toy Story 3 (November)

Recent Xmas gifts include:

The Expendables
    Inception

Still to watch Inception again - I'm saving that for the right time - and I've done three of the commentaries on Pilgrim, but methinks the next viewing will be with the actual audio.

I do wish the price of BRs would drop faster. There's some hanging around at full price meanwhile their DVD counterparts are like a tenner cheaper (but have less extras). I mean, Cop Out, for example - that's STILL full price ... but I only want that for Smith's Maximum Comedy Mode. The movie wasn't all that great (the best bits were in the trailer), and hearing about Willis' complete lack of effort and general demeanour further put me off the movie ... but that MCM mode should be worth seeing once the price has dropped.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I do wish the price of BRs would drop faster. There's some hanging around at full price meanwhile their DVD counterparts are like a tenner cheaper (but have less extras). I mean, Cop Out, for example - that's STILL full price ... but I only want that for Smith's Maximum Comedy Mode. The movie wasn't all that great (the best bits were in the trailer), and hearing about Willis' complete lack of effort and general demeanour further put me off the movie ... but that MCM mode should be worth seeing once the price has dropped.
    <rant>

Yeah, it was kind of a shame to hear about how much of a dick he was to Smith and his complete lack of "wanting to be there" as Smith put it. Dipshit wouldn't even sit for a poster photo shoot. I've lost a LOT of respect for Willis after hearing all that. Smith may not be the most technically inclined director, but if Willis didn't want to work with him or do the movie, why the fuck did he sign on?!

</rant>

Back on topic...

I haven't really bought any BR's recently, but got quite a few for xmas:

The Shawshank Redemption (the packaging for this is pretty damn cool!)
    Let The Right One In
    Drag Me To Hell
    Gran Torino
    The Devil's Rejects

...and one or two more I can't remember offhand. d'oh!

I agree with MZ - the pricing on BR's is fucking stupid. I'm NOT paying $30 for a movie like Cop Out - hell, I'm not paying $30 for ANY movie unless it comes with a red-headed hooker that's already been pre-paid to "go around the world"
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 20-Jan-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: bacon BR's

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Yeah, it was kind of a shame to hear about how much of a dick he was to Smith and his complete lack of "wanting to be there" as Smith put it. Dipshit wouldn't even sit for a poster photo shoot. I've lost a LOT of respect for Willis after hearing all that. Smith may not be the most technically inclined director, but if Willis didn't want to work with him or do the movie, why the fuck did he sign on?!
    According to one of the Evening With Kevin Smith shows, wasn't it Willis that actually called up Smith after Die Hard 4 and asked him to come up with something they could work together on?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    According to one of the Evening With Kevin Smith shows, wasn't it Willis that actually called up Smith after Die Hard 4 and asked him to come up with something they could work together on?
    Yes indeed it was, which makes me wonder why Willis was such a dick during the filming of Cop Out. I mean, it was his own idea to work with Smith, and based on all the cast from Red State that Smith has been having on his "Red State of the Union" podcast, he sounds like he's really easy to work with, so I'm totally confused.

Super Moderator

UK
    <rant>

</rant>

I agree with MZ - the pricing on BR's is fucking stupid. I'm NOT paying $30 for a movie like Cop Out - hell, I'm not paying $30 for ANY movie unless it comes with a red-headed hooker that's already been pre-paid to "go around the world"
    Yes indeed it was, which makes me wonder why Willis was such a dick during the filming of Cop Out. I mean, it was his own idea to work with Smith, and based on all the cast from Red State that Smith has been having on his "Red State of the Union" podcast, he sounds like he's really easy to work with, so I'm totally confused.
    Aye, my respect for him has dropped too. If you don't wanna do the fucking movie, don't ruddy well do it. If you've signed up, then put in a good performance, or just have a laugh - don't be a dick about it.

And no wonder the cover art looks so bad - it's all photoshopped bullshit - not even a photoshopped photo of the actual dude, it's a shit cut 'n' paste jobby.

As for pricing - there are a number of BRs I'd wanna get, but not for £15 to £20 (the latter makes me wonder how shops like HMV survive, quite frankly). Cop Out for example - I'd pay £6 for that, as it's really only the Maximum Comedy Mode that I'm actually interested in (I look forward to hearing more of the drip-drip of information regarding the production of Cop Out ... either in podcasts or on stand up shows).

Some movies I'll pay full price for - like Toy Story 3, or Avatar, because not only are the packages well worth the price, they're the sort of flicks I wanna pre-order anyway.

I have had a couple of decent prices on BR - for instance:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2 disc BR) - £8 in HMV (on a sale)
    The Warriors: Director's Cut (BR ... just a shame it was the Dir Cut ) - £6 in HMV (on a sale)
    The Book of Eli (BR) - £7

But goddamn it's rare for a BR - of a good movie - to drop below £11, even when the DVD counterpart is like £5. If they want more discs selling they need to breakdown the sales prices after the first couple of months on sale at a gradual pace like they do with DVD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    About to go on another Blu-Ray buy tonight at Blockbuster... love them 20-40% discounts when your friends is the manager
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    New Editions now include:

RED - Special Edition BR/DVD COmbo (Beware... Movie only version uses lower video encode rate and Dolby Digital audio only. Special Edition uses higher vid encode and DTS HD-MA audio)
    The Long Kiss Goodnight
    Indecent Proposal (ordered 5 copies because this is OOP and copies sell for $50-$75 on eBay. Wally World had a bunch of left overs)
    Iron Man 1
    Iron Man 2 - Yes I never owned them on Blu-Ray
    2012 - Dual Disc Edition (On sale at best Buy for $14.99, Reg $29.99)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    My last two:

Cop Out - $12.99 @ best buy
    Big Trouble in Little China - $10.99 @ best buy also

with a $20 coupon from their rewardzone club, I managed to pick these two up for less than $9. That was the only way I was going to pay for Cop Out anyway, is if it dropped below 14 bucks. I mainly bought it because of the "maximum comedy mode" not because it was a stellar movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    About to bring home 15 Blu-Rays from the used pile at Blockbuster... going to pick them up this afternoon. Had to wait for my friend to get me his discount.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A discount on top of the pre-viewed Blockbuster Blu Ray deals? Damn Deej....what are you paying? Three dollars per disc?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    -Shutter Island
    -Rescue Dawn
    -Labyrinth
    -Ferris Bueller's Day Off

All for between $5 and $8. Thanks for going out of business, local Blockbuster.