Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Sucker Punch" - Is it really this bad!?

Administrator

England

"Sucker Punch" - Is it really this bad!?

The reviews seem to be butchering it!

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/S...unch-5162.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The reviews seem to be butchering it!

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/S...unch-5162.html
    Well that's the second dud review I've seen for this flick today ... the likelihood of me seeing this in the cinemas is plunging rapidly, and I was only moderately interested in the first place.

The trailer, to me, simply said "a bunch of cool looking shit going on" ... and by the sounds of it, it's just that, albeit the "cool stuff" becomes "uncool" because it's not in a trailer, and because there's sod all connection to the material apparently. I was always sceptical about this have anything in it to make you care ... and it seems to be becoming clear that this is the case with this flick, which seems to be more about getting a bunch of boner-fied teenage boys into the cinemas and nothing more.

In the IGN review they also mentioned the use of music being far too literal and blunt, which was a concern I had with Watchmen - now, Watchmen I rather dug, particularly in the longer cut, but at times the music did feel a bit too 'on the nose' ... so apparently with Sucker Punch that goes into hyperdrive, oh dear.

I'm not surprised it seems to be getting more and more dud reviews, because the trailer didn't have anything in it to make me connect to the material at all, and up until now Snyder has been trading on the work of other people. The MTV-styled remake of Dawn was a poor, music-video-like immitation of a far superior product ... 300 was taking someone else's content, and indeed visuals, and just making them move ... the same with Watchmen. Indeed the reason why I rather like Watchmen has fuck all to do with Snyder, it's all to do with the source material being so strong in the first place, so all the hard work and heavy lifting has been done already.

Take away someone else's already established and applauded source material, and what do you get? A bunch of flashy visuals in slow motion - and who gives a fart about that if you're not invested in it?

I'm starting to think I'll wait until it shows on Sky Movies to see it, or borrow it from a friend ... I'm increasingly not keen on dropping £6.30 on this.

Administrator

England
    300 and Watchmen I thought were great, so maybe he needs good source material/script/storylines to feed off of! So maybe writing really isn't his bag!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just pray that Chris Nolan and David Goyer's Superman script are enough to keep Snyder in check. I will shed a tear if Superman turns out to be an empty shell with nothing but nice visuals....

As for Sucker Punch - like MZ, I'll wait and borrow the Blu Ray from a friend or watch it on tv.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Like the last Superman movie, bass? Oh, burn! I mean, um... something equivalent, but not mindless...

Might see the film, who knows? Can't be worse than Dawn, right? Or... um... Dawn me no like...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Like the last Superman movie, bass? Oh, burn! I mean, um... something equivalent, but not mindless...
    Actually.....Superman Returns is a fantastic film. I love it. It's a shame they wouldn't let Singer continue with his trilogy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I will shed a tear if Superman turns out to be an empty shell with nothing but nice visuals.....
    dude, it's snyder....you'd better bring a box of kleenex to the theater. (and no, dirty minded individuals, that's not what i was getting at...)

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well, I've only seen it once, bass, so... yeah, maybe I should give it another shot... My instinctual dislike for the character should not blind me to possible goodness. That is the way of... fools...
    Also, thanks for quoting me, Prof. It really helps me get through the hard times... cafe.
    Last edited by blind2d; 25-Mar-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: muffins. much more muffins.

United States
    Actually.....Superman Returns is a fantastic film. I love it. It's a shame they wouldn't let Singer continue with his trilogy.
    Thank God! Superman Returns wasn't terrible, but it wasn't 'fantastic' either. Well maybe, compared to Superman 4.....

It was almost a remake of the first film in a way....

And no pyschically threat against Superman from the comics again!

As, for this film. Meh. Not interested in the slightest.

Teehee, there's people comparing to Inception, now!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    dude, it's snyder....you'd better bring a box of kleenex to the theater. (and no, dirty minded individuals, that's not what i was getting at...)
    If it was just Snyder, sure. There would basically be no hope. But as I mentioned, hopefully Nolan's involvement will bring it to another level. Nolan's script will give it the story it needs, while Snyder's visuals will give it the action that people want to see. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Thank God! Superman Returns wasn't terrible, but it wasn't 'fantastic' either. Well maybe, compared to Superman 4.....

It was almost a remake of the first film in a way....

And no pyschically threat against Superman from the comics again!
    Returns is usually 50/50. About half of the fanbase likes it, while the other half hates it. Mostly because of the reasons you mentioned.

And while not technically a remake, it was intended to be similar to Donner's film. That's why it's called Superman Returns. Both in the story and in popular culture, Superman had been away and he was returning to the big screen. The part that Singer failed at was thinking a story could hold todays audience's attention without nonstop explosions and cgi. Returns was a like a bridge between Donner's film(s) and his own, with his sequel(Man of Steel) set to be the real action packed middle act that people were looking for. Sadly he never got to make that action packed sequel...

United States
    I heard about the sequel.....apparently it was gonna use the villain Zod.....

So, I guess he was trying to remake Superman 2 as well!

Don't get me wrong. "Returns" wasn't a abomination, but I can see why alot were disappointed by it. It was hardly worth the wait. I had absolutely no high expectations either since, I never saw the original films in as child (yeah blasphemy I know), but I still knew just by watching it that it was a sub par product.

Having said that.....It's still better than Superman 4. Maybe, Superman 3 too, but I actually like that one for a few reasons. Superman 1 and 2 are still the best, and the way Superman movies should be. Well, last time I saw them anyway.
    Last edited by Doc; 25-Mar-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I09's review:

"Sucker Punch goes beyond awful, to become commentary on the death of moviemaking."

http://io9.com/#!5785590/sucker-punc...of-moviemaking

Yikes.

However, this almost guarantees that I'll rent it...
    Last edited by BillyRay; 25-Mar-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I had a little more to say
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    I agree with him except Returns/Routh not being an abomination.
    Somebody get in there and do it right.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Zod and the gang somewhere down the road.
    And somebody at least make Superman not land, or take off, like a fairy.
    Geeeeez. Don't we have better FX and CG for that now?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    And somebody at least make Superman not land, or take off, like a fairy.
    Geeeeez. Don't we have better FX and CG for that now?

That's a pretty fast and hard-hitting fairy.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Mar-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: .

United States
    That's a pretty fast and hard-hitting fairy.

that's what he said....followed shortly by "jesuth christ!"

and in my humble opinion, sucker puke looks fucking stupid....no thanks.

funny how these days many movies are trying to be like video games, while many video games are trying to be like movies....
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 26-Mar-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: oh, jesuth christ!!