Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's "The Stand" as three films?

Administrator

England

Stephen King's "The Stand" as three films?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know too much of his work because I'm not a fan of the Potter series, but I would love to see a new version of this story. I watched the TV miniseries recently and while it's still enjoyable, it also hasn't aged very well. A modern big budget version could be great with the right actors.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Jul-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't know too much of his work because I'm not a fan of the Potter series, but I would love to see a new version of this story. I watched the TV miniseries recently and while it's still enjoyable, it also hasn't aged very well. A modern big budget version could be great with the right actors.
    I can't really tell a difference between '94 when "The Stand" was made and today so it really hasn't aged any to me. The 90's to me were like yesterday and I can't really tell much of a difference in styles, clothes, etc. today as opposed to then. The only big distinction I can make from the mid-late 90's to now is that music sucks far, far more than then and people are more paranoid in a 9/11 world.

I remember I was in 6th grade when it originally aired in '94 and was so excited to be able to record it on my new and first VCR I owned I had received for Christmas in '93. Man, that was a great year in starting middle school and really starting to come to know myself. Indirectly, I hit puberty that year too which was really exciting.

If "The Stand" today was done they'd have to turn Larry Underwood into a hip-hop/rap artist for "Baby, can you dig your man?" and change it to "Baby, can you dig yo 'bitch?" instead as there really aren't that many rockers still around any longer (or at least making it big anyway) and music has basically gone to hell in the last 15 years or so (in my opinion).

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    and music has basically gone to hell in the last 15 years or so (in my opinion).

j.p.
    so 30 is the year people turn into the older generation now

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    so 30 is the year people turn into the older generation now
    Get off my lawn, Danny!

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can't really tell a difference between '94 when "The Stand" was made and today so it really hasn't aged any to me. The 90's to me were like yesterday and I can't really tell much of a difference in styles, clothes, etc. today as opposed to then.
    It's not so much the clothing or hair styles as it is the overall production value. Some of the decisions were clearly made in a low budget "its for TV" setting and they feel like decisions of the time, if that makes any sense at all. Aside from some poor special effects, which is to be expected, it just gives off the feel of something that would be dated quite quickly.

Again, it wasn't horrible but it just wasn't as great as I remember thinking upon it's initial release.

Can't wait to see what they come up with for the big budget trilogy. Shit....bring back Gary Sinise.

Super Moderator

United States

Again, it wasn't horrible but it just wasn't as great as I remember thinking upon it's initial release.
    I thought the beginning was great, the middle okay and the ending pretty bad. I keep hearing this is the way most Stephen Books are, but I've read so few I don't feel I can properly judge.

Shit....bring back Gary Sinise.
    That'd be awesome!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    It's not so much the clothing or hair styles as it is the overall production value. Some of the decisions were clearly made in a low budget "its for TV" setting and they feel like decisions of the time, if that makes any sense at all. Aside from some poor special effects, which is to be expected, it just gives off the feel of something that would be dated quite quickly.

Can't wait to see what they come up with for the big budget trilogy. Shit....bring back Gary Sinise.
    Yeah, that makes sense, can't really argue with you on it as you're right.

"The Stand" has a special place of nostalgia for me though, so I easily overlook the more mediocre parts of it. The casting was fantastic though, from Laura San Giacomo as Nadine (and yes, I'd still hit that!), to Gary Sinise to "My Favorite Martian"/Judge Henry Bone Ray Walston to Jamey Sheridan who I thought was great as Flagg. There was a great deal of love put into the mini-series even if the $$$ wasn't there.

j.p.

United States
    I know it's a bit dated, but the guy playing Flagg was the bomb diggity. I'm going to check this out, but it's going to be hard not wishing the characters were the same people as the miniseries, as they were perfectly cast. I always feel kind of teary when Rob Lowe bites it.
    I seriously need to read the book, I bet it's at least as good as IT was.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I seriously need to read the book, I bet it's at least as good as IT was.
    The book is one of King's best IMHO, apart from the ending, which like so many of King's ending seems to fall a bit flat!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The book is one of King's best IMHO, apart from the ending, which like so many of King's ending seems to fall a bit flat!
    I thought that was just the movie adaptations...
    Seriously, though, I got into his books as an early teen in the 80's. Alot of them I reread many of them later and wasn't as impressed. Alot of his stuff is cheese, and he cusses like a sailor, I think at times to sell more books. Maybe this is why I loved The Stand and It, since they had to clean it up for regular TV.
    I think when you're a kid, he's easy to grab onto, but when you find deeper horror, he's easily dropped from your faves. Admittedly, I haven't read everything he's done, but when I repicked up Salem's Lot, among others, I was like, "Uhhhh, what's the big deal about him again?"
    I've always been more a Clive Barker fan, but some King is pretty decent. He just seems like the nerd who is trying too hard sometimes, and those damned cameos...
    OK, ramble over, but I'd still like to read this book. The miniseries was pretty superb.
    Randall Flagg like a mofo.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    call bad taste on me if you want but i think christine is a better book than the stand. haters gonna hate.

United States
    call bad taste on me if you want but i think christine is a better book than the stand. haters gonna hate.
    "Christine" is actually my second most favorite horror film of all time (after "Day"). I thought King's novel was excellent but I thought Carpenter's film was true perfection and brought the story to life. I need to re-read "Christine" as it has been years since I've read it, but I remember I thought it was excellent.

j.p.

Super Moderator

United States
    Which Stephen King book about murderous automotive vehicles is that again?

Talk about wringing a premise dry.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    "Christine" is actually my second most favorite horror film of all time (after "Day"). I thought King's novel was excellent but I thought Carpenter's film was true perfection and brought the story to life. I need to re-read "Christine" as it has been years since I've read it, but I remember I thought it was excellent.

j.p.

well that stands good but has a lot of deus ex machina bullshit thats unrelatable. Christine interlaces the paranormal monster car story with the very real, very relatable notion of a guy seeing one of his friends lose himself to an obsession- and lets be honest most of us know a guy around our high school years who got his first car and had a random personality change to a bit of a douchebag.

-- -------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Which George Romero film about murderous autonomous corpses is that again?

Talk about wringing a premise dry.
    just sayin'