Thread: Rubber (film)

Administrator

England

Rubber (film)

...OK... Now we have zombie tyres...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5pyFhmAqE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Seems kinda fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw this movie a few months back - here's what I made of it:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/05...sings-art.html
    Rubber:
    The movie about a killer car tyre - who the hell wouldn't want to see it?! Well, half of it anyway. The half that follows the tyre discovering its powers and exploding heads is enjoyably daft ... but the other half is an eye-rollingly pretentious load of old bollocks, that is so self aware it's not in the slightest bit funny, witty, or entertaining. If all that wasn't in the movie, it'd be a spiffing 40 minutes - or personally, I would have gone in a different direction with such an idea as a killer car tyre.

The opening monologue, about "no reason", is apparently supposed to be ironic. Now, is that because none of the examples given demonstrate "no reason" at all, or is it ironic for another reason and the annoying monologue is actually being serious? I enjoyed the silliness of the cop arriving in the trunk of a police car, which knocked over a series of chairs in the middle of a road, but for goodness sake I didn't need the poncy-arsed bullshit that came afterwards and was dotted throughout the movie. So it's a very split flick - one half of it is total crap that thinks far too much of itself, and the other half is an enjoyable askew idea of a killer car tyre blowing up people's heads in and around the desert motel that was memorably featured in Rob Zombie's wonderful The Devil's Rejects.

Undisclosed
    That's funny. You guys spell tires as tyres. "L" I forgot that I recorded this movie a few days ago. I need to check it out this weekend.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    NOW we have zombie tires? This movie has been out for at least a year. No offense, Neil, but someone's gotta be cocky.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    NOW we have zombie tires? This movie has been out for at least a year. No offense, Neil, but someone's gotta be cocky.
    Maybe we were lucky to not get it over here when it was originally released!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Maybe we were lucky to not get it over here when it was originally released!
    It's been out in the UK on DVD/Blu-Ray for months.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's been out in the UK on DVD/Blu-Ray for months.
    OK... Ok... Maybe I was just lucky enough to not spot it when it was released over here?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OK... Ok... Maybe I was just lucky enough to not spot it when it was released over here?
    hehe ... well half the movie is good, but the other half is shoved so firmly up its own arse that it loops around on itself several times. Half good/half utter garbage.

Undisclosed
    I watched it last night with friends and high as a kite. We found it quite enjoyable. Though the ending drug on. Did not know they kid from the Halloween remake is in it.

I love how the tire was taken down at the end.

Undisclosed
    Had to bump this old thread to chime in. Saw it the other night, and while I appreciate the attempt to be original--no. Just no.

United States
    hehe ... well half the movie is good, but the other half is shoved so firmly up its own arse that it loops around on itself several times. Half good/half utter garbage.
    ^^^ This!

I was this close to doing a "I have shamed myself..." thread about this flick a few months back, but I decided against it. It was so stupid it was hilarious!

It was certainly better than Sharktopus, Snow White & The Huntsman, and Silent House. Not much better, but better none the less.

Y'know why this movie was made?
    No reason.

Y'know why people watch it?
    No reason.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, that "no reason" diatribe was pretentious horseshit ... not to mention technically incorrect throughout.

There were numerous cool parts to the movie, but there was an equal amount of utter dreck too.

United States
    Ugh, that "no reason" diatribe was pretentious horseshit ... not to mention technically incorrect throughout.
    Pretentious? Perhaps... but technically incorrect throughout? I remember his speech, but I can't figure out where it was technically incorrect...?

I do, however, have to claim ignorance to his quotes about The Pianist and Love Story, as I haven't seen either one. The rest of his little monologue was spot-on accurate unless I'm missing something obvious...??

Either way, this is a great movie to get blitzed out of your mind and watch - if you can handle something that's so off the wall even the concept doesn't make much sense.

Hey MZ, y'know why I, personally, watched this movie?
    No reason.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Pretentious? Perhaps... but technically incorrect throughout? I remember his speech, but I can't figure out where it was technically incorrect...?

I do, however, have to claim ignorance to his quotes about The Pianist and Love Story, as I haven't seen either one. The rest of his little monologue was spot-on accurate unless I'm missing something obvious...??

Either way, this is a great movie to get blitzed out of your mind and watch - if you can handle something that's so off the wall even the concept doesn't make much sense.

Hey MZ, y'know why I, personally, watched this movie?
    No reason.

I suppose what I was trying to get at, as I'd said earlier in the thread/in my review of the movie from a while back, was:
    The opening monologue, about "no reason", is apparently supposed to be ironic. Now, is that because none of the examples given demonstrate "no reason" at all, or is it ironic for another reason and the annoying monologue is actually being serious? I enjoyed the silliness of the cop arriving in the trunk of a police car, which knocked over a series of chairs in the middle of a road, but for goodness sake I didn't need the poncy-arsed bullshit that came afterwards and was dotted throughout the movie.
    I quite clearly remember watching the movie and pointing out in my mind that every example of "no reason" given, in fact had a very clear reason behind it happening. None of them had any connection to just tossing together random ideas for "no reason" (which, I'd still wager, have some reason to them afterall, as the ideas present themselves in your mind because of a confluence of events and creative sparks in the mind of the writer ... indeed, you could argue that "inspiration" from out of nowhere is a form of "reason" too).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Aug-2012 at 05:52 PM.