View Poll Results: What is GAR's Greatest Decade?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1960's

2 8.70%
  • 1970's

8 34.78%
  • 1980's

13 56.52%
  • 1990's

0 0%
  • 2000's

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romero's Greatest Decade?

United States

Romero's Greatest Decade?

Good old GAR has been directing since the 1960's. With that in mind, which decade would you consider his Golden Age?

1960's - NOTLD
    1970's - There's Always Vanilla, Season of the Witch, The Crazies, Martin, DOTD
    1980's - Knightriders, Creepshow, Day of the Dead, Monkey Shines, Tales from the Darkside
    1990's - Two Evil Eyes, The Dark Half
    2000's - Bruiser, Land/Diary/Survival of the Dead

Administrator

England
    Good question.. Id have to say 1960's personally as night is not only my favourite GAR movie but my favourite movie ever.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's definitely a toss up between then 70's and 80's, but I think i'm going to have to go with the 80's. There were great stories in both decades but the 80's films are probably one step ahead for the better effects and technical filmmaking aspects. Romero really came into his own and honed his craft in the 80's, imo.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Jan-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    80's. Day of the Dead and Creepshow are amongst my favourites.

Super Moderator

United States
    Good question!

I'm leaning towards 80s, but it's a hard call for me to make.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    It was tough for me too because I love Knightriders. IMO it feels more like a 70's movie and not part of the 80's.

United States
    Even though Dawn is my favorite of all Romero movies, I had to vote for the 80's on the strength of the entire lineup. Clearly, that group of movies is far superior to the overall group of the seventies. But if I could only watch one Romero movie for the rest of my life, Dawn would be the one.

Great Britain
    80s by a long way.

Super Moderator

UK
    I opted for the 1970s - but the 1980s aren't far off by any means.

The 1970s had The Crazies, Martin, and most importantly of all - Dawn of the Dead.

The 1980s on the other hand did have Knightriders, Creepshow and Day of the Dead ... so it's a very close call between the two, but because I adore Dawn of the Dead so much, that's what pips it.

United States
    I have to go with the 80's, even though my two favorite films are outside of this era, I think his offerings from the 80's stand up the best under scrutiny, and ultimately the test of time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's definitely a toss up between then 70's and 80's, but I think i'm going to have to go with the 80's.
    I'd have to agree I think, as IMHO Day is the best produced and darkest zombie flick ever made! Dawn is certainly the most atmostpheric and interesting though, but Day's production beats it for me.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I voted 60s because Night started it all...but I honestly love his movies from each of the decades. Damn though- the 80's has more awesome choices than the others. But yeah- Night started it all...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia Martin View Post
    I voted 60s because Night started it all...but I honestly love his movies from each of the decades. Damn though- the 80's has more awesome choices than the others. But yeah- Night started it all...
    *High-Fives*

I was beginning to think i was alone in my love of NOTLD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    *High-Fives*

I was beginning to think i was alone in my love of NOTLD!

Night is my sentimental favorite, it was my first and it will always have a place in my heart. I spent some time with Dawn ad my favorite and my go to film, now I view Night as my favorite and I tend to watch Dawn much less (watch Day more actually).

Administrator

England
    Dawn was my first romero movie as a child and i loved it back then, but i find i nitpick and enjoy it less and less everytime i watch it, its got the point where its fallen to the bottom of the trilogy for me, i watch day more than dawn now but still i find im getting the same with that, i enjoy day less than i used to, id rate fulci's zombi (zombie flesh eaters) higher than both of those films.

NOTLD on the other hand really strikes something with me, im not sure why but i still say its romeros best movie to date and i enjoy it as much now as i did years and years ago.