Thread: Titanic replica being built...

Administrator

England

Titanic replica being built...

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/wo...html?hpt=hp_t2

An Australian mining magnate has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build a replica of the ill-fated Titanic, complete in every detail but equipped with modern technology to prevent a repeat of the original's fateful maiden voyage 100 years ago.

Clive Palmer, a Queensland mining billionaire with strong links to China, told Australian media that he had signed a memorandum of understanding with CSC Jinling Shipyard to build the ship.

He said construction of the luxury cruise ship would begin next year and the ship would be ready to sail in 2016.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," he said in a statement.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd certainly hope it isn't 'complete in every detail' in-so-far-as not having enough life boats! And after the likes of Costa Concordia, a new system that prevents the boat rolling onto its side in a disaster.

I don't know about you, but I'd never set foot on the thing unless it was docked ... I'd never go on a cruise in that, talk about tempting fate! It also seems a little crass in a way, right?

Administrator

England
    More news...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21597371

The Titanic II cruise liner, which will be constructed in China, will be an almost exact match of the original ship. But the plan is proving controversial and a relative of the Titanic's captain has said it is in "poor taste".
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Most definitely poor taste - totally agreed on that front - and what's more, talk about pushing your luck and tempting fate!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Most definitely poor taste - totally agreed on that front - and what's more, talk about pushing your luck and tempting fate!
    Hmmmm, and it'll be made in China, you say?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hmmmm, and it'll be made in China, you say?
    Yes... Made in China and then shipped around the world, literally!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    is it wrong to hope this one sinks too and takes every single one of the rich bastards on it along for the ride?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    is it wrong to hope this one sinks too and takes every single one of the rich bastards on it along for the ride?
    Meh. Maybe? But it would still be funny in some perverse way if it DID hit an iceberg & sink...

Now if I can just find some chick willing to fake her own death while we recreate that Leo & Kate thing from the movie so I can sue them for a billion dollars, then yeah, go ahead & build the damn thing.

Administrator

England
    I suspect they'll have more than a pair of guys up in a crows nest to detect iceburgs with the new one!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    HA!

Just what I was thinking yesterday.

But then I sort of felt bad because there would probably be some families of the descendants of the original disaster on board too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Now if I can just find some chick willing to fake her own death while we recreate that Leo & Kate thing from the movie so I can sue them for a billion dollars, then yeah, go ahead & build the damn thing.
    but...but if you don't freeze to death how will her heart go on?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    HA!

Just what I was thinking yesterday.
    i think that was the Irish in me coming out for a minute.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Why does this seem like it's tempting fate? I know this aussie guy is loaded, and sometimes, people with money do very stupid things. But this is something that I think shouldn't be attempted.

i'm just waiting for either someone to say "This ship is unsinkable" or for a frakking iceberg to hit it. Although in that respect of an iceberg, global warming does have it's advantages.

I'm just wondering whats next... George Dubya winning the nobel peace prize?