Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead Soundtrack Remastered on Vinyl for the Purists (Old farts)

England

Day of the Dead Soundtrack Remastered on Vinyl for the Purists (Old farts)

http://dailydead.com/day-of-the-dead...lease-details/

Day of the Dead fans will be thrilled to learn that the film’s score has been restored and remastered, specifically for release on vinyl. The vinyl score also comes with some surprise extras if you get your hands on the limited edition version.

John Harrison’s score finally receives the treatment it deserves as it arrives in its entirety on vinyl. Harrison returned to work on his own score with a little help from his musical peers and Waxwork Records, who made this announcement:

“This release features, for the first time ever, every musical cue used in the film (over an hour’s worth of music). Our source material for this release were the original 1985 master tapes. The tapes were restored and re-mixed by composer John Harrison (Creepshow, Tales from the Crypt, Tales From The Darkside) and mixing engineer Michael Farrow (music scoring engineer of The Big Lebowski, Cabin Fever, Hostel, Halloween, Where The Wild Things Are). The score was then re-mastered for vinyl by former White Zombie guitarist, J. Yuenger.

Day Of The Dead will be a 180 gram 2xLP limited release on Cream Yellow Marble vinyl (Sides A & B) and Military Green Marble vinyl (Sides C & D). All housed in a heavyweight old-school tip-on matte varnish gatefold jacket with spot UV gloss finish.”

The first 300 copies will be special ‘Zombie Flesh and Blood’ edition vinyls which come with notes from Harrison and the man who started it all- director George A. Romero. Plus, a replica of the newspaper article ‘THE DEAD WALK!’ that flutters along the zombie-infested streets at the beginning of the film.

The vinyl score is available for pre-order at Waxwork Records online shop and will be available on September 30th. We’ve included that tracking listing below and cover art (via Fangoria).
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Will Gary Klar & Joe Pilato be offering these at their booth? 'Cuz that's how I'd justify spending the dough on this. Not that it its a waste of money; but just 'cuz I'm po' white trash...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    How many people still have record players? I know I don't!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I know quite a few that do. Music buffs tend to keep them around, even younger ones. I know people who were to young to be around when the record players went out of style, but still keep them around. Purity of sound and all that.

Myself, I don't. But upon reading this, I wish I did.

UK
    How many people still have record players?
    It's wax cylinders or nothing for me! Vinyl... bah! That's for posers!

Super Moderator

United States
    Not into vinyl, though I can appreciate the attraction, once removed from the proto-hipster mindset that has helped perpetuate record collecting.

That said, pretty cool!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    It's wax cylinders or nothing for me! Vinyl... bah! That's for posers!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Not into vinyl, though I can appreciate the attraction, once removed from the proto-hipster mindset that has helped perpetuate record collecting.

That said, pretty cool!
    Such a weird coincidence. I do not come to HPOTD any where near as often as I used you (I know, you all miss me terribly ) but I came today for no specific reason, and I saw this post. I immediately ordered it, so I will be sure to give a review when it arrives. I hope i am one of the first 300, but I dont know how long that offer has been out other than from this post. Luckily I already have one of the newspapers, but mine is autographed from John Amplas and Gary Klar!

PS - Thanks for posting this kidgloves!

PPS - Just looked at my email confirmation, my order number is over 1000. I hope that it is either a random number of they STARTED counting at 1000 instead of 1, otherwise I wont be in the top 300
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 03-Sep-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Thanks forgotten

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Just looked at my email confirmation, my order number is over 1000. I hope that it is either a random number of they STARTED counting at 1000 instead of 1, otherwise I wont be in the top 300
    Got my fingers crossed for you, Philly_SWAT.

I hope all is well, otherwise.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Such a weird coincidence. I do not come to HPOTD any where near as often as I used you (I know, you all miss me terribly ) but I came today for no specific reason, and I saw this post. I immediately ordered it, so I will be sure to give a review when it arrives. I hope i am one of the first 300, but I dont know how long that offer has been out other than from this post. Luckily I already have one of the newspapers, but mine is autographed from John Amplas and Gary Klar!

PS - Thanks for posting this kidgloves!

PPS - Just looked at my email confirmation, my order number is over 1000. I hope that it is either a random number of they STARTED counting at 1000 instead of 1, otherwise I wont be in the top 300
    I love this soundtrack! Let us know what you think of it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've noticed recently that these big combination players seem to be popular around my area. I know quite a few people with these big systems that have a record player, cd, mp3 input, tape, etc. Even one with an 8 Track player. Just something new that I've noticed, but of course there are still people that think vinyl is the best way to listen to music and have had the same record players for decades...

United States
    I love this soundtrack! Let us know what you think of it!
    Well, I have the soundtrack to Day on my ipod and listen to some of it from time to time. I think the John Harrison score is awesome! His music did a fantastic job of helping set the tone for the movie. This release seems more like the "incidental music" from Dawn release, which I also have and enjoy. But I do have ALL the music cues from Dawn that werent on a set for sale, that is what this really seems to be. I do not see the names of the John Harrison songs listed on this, so I assume that it is totally different from the actual soundtrack. But I will for sure let you know. It said this was going to be released on Sept 30th, so I guess I have a while to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've noticed recently that these big combination players seem to be popular around my area. I know quite a few people with these big systems that have a record player, cd, mp3 input, tape, etc. Even one with an 8 Track player. Just something new that I've noticed, but of course there are still people that think vinyl is the best way to listen to music and have had the same record players for decades...
    To be clear, as far as I am concerned, I would MUCH prefer to have this in digital format as opposed to an LP, but since they are selling this as an LP, that is what i have to order. The main reason I do like LPs is that they are big and make for a nice display on my "Romero shelf". CD's do not stand out very well, that is why I like my laserdiscs, big with pretty pictures!

Undisclosed
    I just saw the old CD sell for $70 or more on ebay and was getting all excited to sell mine then this thread happened.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    I just saw the old CD sell for $70 or more on ebay and was getting all excited to sell mine then this thread happened.
    Someone may be selling it for that... The more improtant question is, is anyone buying it for that
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I didn't see it for sale online for the longest time outside of a $60 one on Amazon marketplace a couple years ago but when I did a completed listings search on Ebay just the other day one sold for over $70, maybe even $80 or $90 as there were several bids starting at $69. So I was all excited since I paid $20 and hate the mastering on the first two tracks but this looks to be the release Harrison was hinting at a year ago with all the music, not the edited original release. I bet it gets a CD release after this vinyl sells out too.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    I didn't see it for sale online for the longest time outside of a $60 one on Amazon marketplace a couple years ago but when I did a completed listings search on Ebay just the other day one sold for over $70, maybe even $80 or $90 as there were several bids starting at $69. So I was all excited since I paid $20 and hate the mastering on the first two tracks but this looks to be the release Harrison was hinting at a year ago with all the music, not the edited original release. I bet it gets a CD release after this vinyl sells out too.
    I figured the CD would be expensive, but some of the prices I'm hearing make me happy I grabbed a digital copy of the main title theme on iTunes earlier this year.

That said, I hope you're right about a new CD release!