Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith VS Joel Siegel

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Kevin Smith VS Joel Siegel

http://www.viewaskew.com/kevin/joelsiegel.mp3

Okay, I've only just heard about this, Apparently during a critics screening of Clerks 2, Joel Siegel stood up and walked out... fine, if a critic doesn't like a movie, thats their deal. But when a critic causes a disruption during the screening, that's enough to p**s anyone off, so Kevin Smith went on the radio to discuss the situation, when the hosts of the show called Joel to get a response to the comments...

This is what happened....

Fiji
    good find!

United States
    That explanation and excuse Siegel gave just shows why the majority of filmgoers see film critics as elitist, snobbish and condescending. Kevin Smith should've let Jay loose on his ass Buffalo Bill-style.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn. I can't see it.

Can somebody fill me in on what happened?

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of "Clerks 2" this Friday. I'll probably be there right after work.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Ok, basically, Kevin Smith is invited on a radio to talk about Joel Siegel and his comments... well, hilarity (spellcheck please?) ensues when the hosts of the show call siegel to let him discuss what happened... Smith and Siegel begin a hilarious debate over the movie...

Basically, Joel Siegel gets pwned!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This doesn't bode well. Makes me wonder if Clerks 2 is just as bad as Kevin Smith's other recent films.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed
    This doesn't bode well. Makes me wonder if Clerks 2 is just as bad as Kevin Smith's other recent films.
    If you're going to judge by a review.....for christ's sake, don't do it by Joel Siegel's. He just thinks he knows movies....

Every other review that I've read says the film is great and stays true to the original. Besides, what was so bad about his recent flicks? "Jersey Girl" was nothing special but still a decent movie. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" wasn't that bad. It had it's moments of laughter but was nothing compared to "Chasing Amy" and the others, I'll give you that...

My least favorite is still "Dogma". Although a good flick, it really let me down.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic
    Ok, basically, Kevin Smith is invited on a radio to talk about Joel Siegel and his comments... well, hilarity (spellcheck please?) ensues when the hosts of the show call siegel to let him discuss what happened... Smith and Siegel begin a hilarious debate over the movie...

Basically, Joel Siegel gets pwned!!!
    Good Gracious!!!!
    If you're trying to make a serious point, don't use the term "pwned". Hell, the "word" can't even be pronounced.
    Anyhoooooo, I NEVER listen to "critics".
    I've seen Mr. Smith's movies and find them "watchable". I don't think he's the "comedic genius" that people claim he is. The first Clerks was laughable.....once.....
    everything else is "blah funny".

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    Good Gracious!!!!
    If you're trying to make a serious point, don't use the term "pwned". Hell, the "word" can't even be pronounced.
    Anyhoooooo, I NEVER listen to "critics".
    I've seen Mr. Smith's movies and find them "watchable". I don't think he's the "comedic genius" that people claim he is. The first Clerks was laughable.....once.....
    everything else is "blah funny".
    I can see where you're coming from....but "Chasing Amy" is definitely not "blah funny". The rest of them...maybe. But not "Chasing Amy".

"I'm telling you that chick is probably a bigger germ farm than that monkey in Outbreak" -Banky

United States
    After listening to that it shows Kevin Smith to be the immature hack he has become. Siegel tried to have a real converstion with him but he just acted like a high school kid.
    If you really look at his body of work you can see that the original "Clerks" is the only film he has done that is any good. "Dogma" is one of the biggest pieces of **** I've ever seen. Didn't Smith say that he was done with Jay & Silent Bob after "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back"? But after he laid that huge egg with "Jersey Girl", he runs right back to something safe. It's too bad, because I really love that first film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo
    After listening to that it shows Kevin Smith to be the immature hack he has become. Siegel tried to have a real converstion with him but he just acted like a high school kid.
    If you really look at his body of work you can see that the original "Clerks" is the only film he has done that is any good. "Dogma" is one of the biggest pieces of **** I've ever seen. Didn't Smith say that he was done with Jay & Silent Bob after "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back"? But after he laid that huge egg with "Jersey Girl", he runs right back to something safe. It's too bad, because I really love that first film.
    I haven't had a chance to listen to the radio thing(no audio ), but after reading about what Siegel did during the press screening.....Smith had a right to be immature and rude.

Smith said it himself....If you don't like the film, great. You want to give it the worst review ever and talk bad about it to everyone, great. Just do it after the film is over and don't stand up and intentionally try to attract everyone's attention away from the film. That's low. I'm sure Siegel got what he deserved.....maybe not enough. Keep in mind, I would say the same thing if a critic did the same to Zach Snyder or Uwe Boll.....

He says that they made a "Clerks 2" because Jason Mewes(Jay) was on drugs and Smith told him they would make another if he got clean. That's what he says, anyway....

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I saw that earlier on today too, it's a damn funny listen.

As for Clerks 2 - I can't fudging wait, I'm really looking forward to seeing this flick having been following Clerks 2: Trainwreck (vlog) for the past several months *sniffs ... someone's got a BBQ goin'* ... erm ... yeah, damn funny listen.

I'm totally with Smith on this too, how utterly unprofessional - you're PAID to watch movies and then review them ... but he just gets up 40 minutes (an hour, like Siegel said, my paper white ass) in after hearing DIALOGUE relating to a donkey show and then causes a spectacle in front of everyone else. What a f*cking n00b - like the hosts said.

If I had been there I'd have either gotten up and slapped Siegel silly or flat out told him to shut his ass up and get the fudge out.

But it's hardly surprising from someone with Magnum PI's "cum strainer" tash who is clearly far too old to be watching this movie ... or perhaps just too damn lame (with all his gay puns) to enjoy it.

Wasn't it also really, really gay how he kept saying Smith was such a great director, as if to make him less the bad guy and remove attention from the fact he was in the wrong, acted like a spoiled child when he should have been doing his job.

lol, what a dick ... but it'll get a bit more free advertising for the flick, good stuff.

Anyone have any idea when it's released in the UK? I can't find a date anywhere...

He says that they made a "Clerks 2" because Jason Mewes(Jay) was on drugs and Smith told him they would make another if he got clean. That's what he says, anyway....
    I believe that was Strike Back, although there are conflicting stories/essays by Smith on that one, so... well, anyway, I think Smith rocks. He speaks to a very specific market mostly, so that's probably why some people hate him or don't dig his movies, but I'm in the target bracket and I'm lovin' every minute - even Jersey Girl - which WAS A GOOD MOVIE, I really did like it, it even had me with a lump in my throat, it was clearly a very personal film for Smith ... just like both Clerks ... and Dogma ... and Chasing Amy quite a bit too actually (I think Smith had a thing for a lesbian he met whilst in Cannes doing the thing for the original Clerks).

The sooner Clerks 2 gets to the UK the better, I'd better not be waiting around until fuggin' September like I had to with Land of the Dead ... still, that meant that I was able to get the DVD a mere 3 weeks after I'd seen it in the cinema opening night...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Jul-2006 at 08:15 PM. Reason: lol ... 1955 posts ... DOC, DOC! WE'VE GOTTA GO BACK TO THE FUTURE!!! *giggles*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    (I think Smith had a thing for a lesbian he met whilst in Cannes doing the thing for the original Clerks).

Really? I thought I remembered hearing that most of "Chasing Amy" was based on his girlfriend that he split up with just before the film was made. Who also happened to be Alyssa Jones herself, Joey Lauren Adams.

The sooner Clerks 2 gets to the UK the better, I'd better not be waiting around until fuggin' September like I had to with Land of the Dead ... still, that meant that I was able to get the DVD a mere 3 weeks after I'd seen it in the cinema opening night...
    Yeah...*cough cough* TOMORROW!

Super Moderator

United States
    Wow, this really makes me miss Opie & Anthony. It's ashame they got kicked off of public radio in NYC because of that whole sex-olympics thing in the church.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Really? I thought I remembered hearing that most of "Chasing Amy" was based on his girlfriend that he split up with just before the film was made. Who also happened to be Alyssa Jones herself, Joey Lauren Adams.
    This is true based on what I've heard, but various incidental inspirations can also be combined for inspiration of a story, so I don't automatically discount MZ's suggestion.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 20-Jul-2006 at 11:21 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed A&E, Smith was boning Joey Lauren Adams until after Chasing Amy was done, then they broke up. I remember reading some of Smith's diary excerpts that he'd put out, bits from his diary of Cannes 1994 when he was "pimping & whoring" Clerks. Out there he and Mosier met two girls, one of which was a lesbian ... it was skipped over fairly quickly, but he did appear to be quite enamoured with the girl from the excerpts.

That's what I figured it was based on...or at least inspired by...Chasing Amy is also inspired by Smith's own sex life ... sorta, lol, or of course his changing views on sex during his life.