Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer/Amicus horror movies

Kazakhstan

Hammer/Amicus horror movies

heard someone mention these in passing on another thread, thought i'd see if you guys are into these movies.

been a big fan for years, favourites include;
    plague of the zombies
    the ghoul (1975)
    satanic rites of dracula
    scars of dracula
    dracula; prince of darkness
    horror of frankenstein
    twins of evil
    quatermass & the pit.
    devil rides out

anyone else?

capncnut
    I pretty much love most of those but you forgot to put Countess Dracula on the list. I loved the Hammer tv series too and rate 'Charlie Boy' as the best one.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can put The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires on there as well. It deserves cult status for being a Hammer and Golden Harvest collaboration alone.
    Last edited by capncnut; 05-Nov-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Kazakhstan
    ah both blatant classics too

countess dracula, a classic (comes bundled with twins of evil & vampire circus on region 2). the band cradle of filth did an album based around that bathory legend, even got ingrid pitt in to do some spoken word ("the glamour of hammer", hehe).

seven golden vampires is one of the craziest pieces of wish fulfillment ever. i couldnt believe what i was watching when i saw it and honestly wondered if i'd dreamed it the next day! as you say, hammer AND golden harvest...two of the best cult studios ever.

capncnut
    What happened to Hammer Glamour? Wasn't Ingrid Pitt going to resurrect the Hammer legend with a series of new films?

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    heard someone mention these in passing on another thread, thought i'd see if you guys are into these movies.

been a big fan for years, favourites include;
    plague of the zombies
    the ghoul (1975)
    satanic rites of dracula
    scars of dracula
    dracula; prince of darkness
    horror of frankenstein
    twins of evil
    quatermass & the pit.
    devil rides out

anyone else?
    Those are all great, though I haven't seen most of 'em for years. I'm particularly fond of "The Devil Rides Out" I love all that schlocky satanist stuff, good ol' D. Wheatly. Btw, wasn't the adaptation of Wheatly's "To The Devil A Daughter" the last Hammer horror feature made?
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakobsa View Post
    Btw, wasn't the adaptation of Wheatly's "To The Devil A Daughter" the last Hammer horror feature made?
    Certainly was Chak, 1976 if I'm not mistaken.

Kazakhstan
    the devil rides out/to the devil a daughter are great, like all good heavy metal fans i love the whole cod-diabolism thing, also props to the casting crew for realising how evil charles gray is.

did you ever read any of wheatley's books? have to say i was a little taken aback by the casual anti-semitism!

anyone see "the beast must die"? that was a weird one, with the werewolf break towards the end so you'd have a bit of time to figure out who it was...lol

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i have been collecting hammer films since i was a kid.

favs include:

the gorgon
    the mummy
    hound of the baskervilles
    brides of dracula
    curse of the werewolf
    phantom of the opera
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnSpaulding View Post
    Certainly was Chak, 1976 if I'm not mistaken.
    Ah, thought, so.

the devil rides out/to the devil a daughter are great, like all good heavy metal fans i love the whole cod-diabolism thing, also props to the casting crew for realising how evil charles gray is.

did you ever read any of wheatley's books? have to say i was a little taken aback by the casual anti-semitism!

anyone see "the beast must die"? that was a weird one, with the werewolf break towards the end so you'd have a bit of time to figure out who it was...lol
    Yeah, I read Wheatley's black magic books years ago as any spotty young Black sabbath fan probably did!. You're right about the anti-semitism though,
    black people got a rough time of it in those books as well, usually portrayed as a bunch of shiftless ne'er do wells intent on villainy.. The books were of their time and casual racism of that sort was unfortunately common.

"The Beast Must Die", bunch of folk in a big house, one of whom is a werewolf, sort of a bastard hybrid of those annoying detective programmes;
    "one of the people in this room is the killer/werewolf" and a strange blaxploitation werewolf thing. Is that the one?
    Last edited by Chakobsa; 06-Nov-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Kazakhstan
    lol yep that's the one, an english master hunter with a richard pryor style haircut & tache combo. also has charles gray in it.

United Kingdom
    I brought A hammer Horror selection dvd box set for a project i was doing in media studies, and i have to say i love all the films. There were 5 in it which included:

The Devil Rides Out

The Horror of Frankenstein

Scars of Dracula

Lust For a Vampire

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb
    In the End Its All Just A Gag - Charlie Chaplin

Kazakhstan
    i LOVE horror of frankenstein. definitely the best version of frankenstein story. great unrepentantly dark humour, love the way we end up rooting for a total git. the ending is also a shocker and made me slap my forehead in disbelief...

plus kate o mara was seriously hot back then.

capncnut
    plus kate o mara was seriously hot back then.
    I was more of a Yutte Stensgaard fan myself.

United States
    havent seen any of them, any 2 worth seeing?

Kazakhstan
    horror of frankenstein and the devil rides out are probably good places to start with hammer horrors.

although some people argue "The wicker man" falls into the hammer/amicus category. i disagree.