Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we all just blind?

Undisclosed

Are we all just blind?

You know, alot of you like to **** on Land because it isn't Dawn or Day. I never realized why until I thought about it. People like us who are in love with Romero's zombie films we're waiting to be dissapointed by Land. There is NO WAY it would ever live up to expectations. Thats why I saw it twice in theaters. The first time I watchec it, I was a bit dissapointed because it wasn't what I expected. But, I decided that If I saw it again, but this time watched it as a whole other flick, it might be better. I enjoyed it much better the 2nd time going in with the mind set that this was a zombie flick. Not a Romero zombie flick, but just a zombie flick. The original three have nostalgic places in our hearts and to try and accept a new film is almost impossible because its not familiar to us. If you compare Land to 99 % of other horror films in this country, it is brilliant and really ****ing good. All of my friends who are not obsessed with the trilogy like I am loved it. They ate it up. Because, they weren't in the ****ty mind-frame that we all are. Like look at the Star Wars geeks. They get all dressed up with their light sabers and **** and go see the new film and they come out like "That sucked. That was no where near the calibur of the first three". If George Lucas made the original Star Wars again, it'd be cheesy as **** and no one would be happy. Same with Romero. The bottom line is that we'd could have never accepted this film because we love the others too much. Do you get what I'm saying?

Spain
    I understand that you tell us. I agree with you. We put the level very high. If you think that you must have a ten, and they give you a eight, you are sad, no?, this is our problem!.

capncnut
    Well The Alive Man once said that it was his favourite installment so that proves Land works better for some people than others. It wasn't fantastic by a long shot but I still enjoyed it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    uh....sequels will never hold up to there predecessor in the fans eyes, this has been a given in cinema for like 40 years now, i dont really see the point here.
    you either like a film or dont, you dont have to explain to people if you didnt like one more than the other cus noones tastes are identical.

and for the record star wars sucks. there i said it, and i wont take it back

United States
    My girlfriend doesnt like horror movies at all, or any hard film and she LOVED land so I think its appeal to people ignorant of the trilogy is very high. She found it quirky, original and wierd without a dull moment.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    uh....sequels will never hold up to there predecessor in the fans eyes, this has been a given in cinema for like 40 years now, i dont really see the point here.
    you either like a film or dont, you dont have to explain to people if you didnt like one more than the other cus noones tastes are identical.
    Dawn of the Dead and Bride of Frankenstein are both considered better than the orignals by many. It is uncommon but it does happen.
    Road Warrior, anyone?
    I think Army of Darkness i9s a goofball masterpiece and surpasses the first two, imo (though I loves em all)

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    and for the record star wars sucks. there i said it, and i wont take it back
    Even the original trilogy????

And The Star Wars prequels really suck. Phantom Menace is a boring turd, I saw inly half of the 2nd one. ALl the politics and increasing stupid ass names for plantes and people etc was way too much. Its like Geek Jizz. Talk about Falling off, Lucas is the King of falling off.
    Last edited by coma; 13-Feb-2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    I think what Romero feared would happen with a big budget did happen. Well known actors, quickly made, standard Hollywood soundtrack. Quick and standardized formula to make a buck. He needs his team: Gornick, Savini, Harrison, some library music. And location, location, location: Pittsburgh! Why do you think he's making another dead film so soon and it's not a big budget crapfest?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    you forgot terminator 2 as well, but on a whole i just mean its a given that the expectation will be huge if the predecessor was, simple as that.
    ..and yeah, i loved star wars when i was younger but its gotten so stale, a heinous (yes ive been watching bill and ted) marketing campaign, and while the movies were an allright slice of pop culture firday night movie type stuff, they really arent so great when you step back and take a look at them.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Road Warrior, anyone?
    Word.

United States

Mad Max II ...

" Road Warrior Anyone ? " : posted by COMA ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Word.
    WORD >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    You know, alot of you like to **** on Land because it isn't Dawn or Day. I never realized why until I thought about it. People like us who are in love with Romero's zombie films we're waiting to be dissapointed by Land. There is NO WAY it would ever live up to expectations. Thats why I saw it twice in theaters. The first time I watchec it, I was a bit dissapointed because it wasn't what I expected. But, I decided that If I saw it again, but this time watched it as a whole other flick, it might be better. I enjoyed it much better the 2nd time going in with the mind set that this was a zombie flick. Not a Romero zombie flick, but just a zombie flick. The original three have nostalgic places in our hearts and to try and accept a new film is almost impossible because its not familiar to us. If you compare Land to 99 % of other horror films in this country, it is brilliant and really ****ing good. All of my friends who are not obsessed with the trilogy like I am loved it. They ate it up. Because, they weren't in the ****ty mind-frame that we all are. Like look at the Star Wars geeks. They get all dressed up with their light sabers and **** and go see the new film and they come out like "That sucked. That was no where near the calibur of the first three". If George Lucas made the original Star Wars again, it'd be cheesy as **** and no one would be happy. Same with Romero. The bottom line is that we'd could have never accepted this film because we love the others too much. Do you get what I'm saying?
    Exactly , watch the dvd w/ Georges commentary , he didnt want to put out the same thing . I think his film making has evolved , to a new level . Its like people just want the same thing over & over ...WTF? Artists change makes for subjective reaction . I saw Land at the theater twice , secondtime because I wanted to examine it closer . I saw it the first time , with no pre-conception of what was in store .'Land ' for me , is a great addition to his work . I always view film this way . I learned this when my mom dragged me to "Harold & Maude" when I was 13 or so , I decided based on the title that it would suck ... I left the theater crying and learned the lessons not just of what the film offers , but to give art a chance not basing your vision on what you want before you see it . Thats the cool thing about subjectivity . People get pissed off if you like something they hate sometimes ... the intelligent ones just see difference in opinion . Great post Minerva .-DVW5150
    Last edited by DVW5150; 13-Feb-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I enjoyed Land, but it was still pretty much a joke. It was filmed in Canada, the script was rushed, the pacing was off, the plot implausible, and the casting was atrocious. Dennis Hopper's weakest performace since Space Truckers and Speed.

Basically, I will always say: You have Romero's trilogy and then you have Land. It will never be considered in the same league as Night and Dawn, and especially Day.

Banned User

United States
    Wow. Chaos is banned. Is it permanent? Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    Well given it is a Romero movie I do expect the same quality in Land as in the others so ya I was dissapointed in Land. It was not scary and it was very predictable. I think the problem is he allowed too much time go by before making Land.
    Last edited by HLS; 14-Feb-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    I think yes after you have seen Dawn of the dead 78

NOTHING WILL EVER TOP IT

as a zombie fan that is what I want
    something
    equal to dawn
    and because of that I will be always dissappointed

I think GAR has let it slip with Land , but I think only due to the studio pressure to cough up another modern horror crapball
    it was a good movie
    but you could tell someone was messing with his visions

however
    we have to give romero credit
    much
    much more credit
    he has made a 4 film series over the span of 36 years
    and he never let us down
    who else has done that?
    delivered the goods time and time again
    made GOOD sequels TO HORROR FILMS
    AND HE WAITED 10 YEARS OR MORE IN BETWEEN
    that is simply a diamond in the rough

who has done that ?
    raimi ? i dont count the evil dead series
    one was a remake/sequel and they all seemed to come right after eachother

SAW ? thats a buncha crap
    all those 80s slashers are terrible after maybe part 2

Romero made films that werent just
    SLASHER MOVIE : (INSERT NUMBER)
    REVENGE OF SO AND SO

no Romero gave us heartfelt and intelligent horror
    four times
    I think any stuff we dont like in Land we shouldnt be whining about too much

cos hes going on five now
    FIVE
    thats an solid number of zombie films that have the GAR STAMP OF QUALITY
    lets give this guy an award for having the intelligence and the balls to make his own unique films
    in a remake ridden,trash heap of modern cinema
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I enjoyed Land, but it was still pretty much a joke. It was filmed in Canada, the script was rushed, the pacing was off, the plot implausible, and the casting was atrocious. Dennis Hopper's weakest performace since Space Truckers and Speed.

Basically, I will always say: You have Romero's trilogy and then you have Land. It will never be considered in the same league as Night and Dawn, and especially Day.
    I just don't agree with this.

1. Filming in Canada has nothing to do with anything. I'd prefer Pittsburgh, but Romero lives in Toronto now so, he really is actually sticking to his normal style. Never leave home. lol.

2. The script was definatly not rushed, I think that film has great dialogue that 99 % of horror films today could make very little use of. Great lines.

3. I do think, it should have been about 30 minutes longer, but I thought that Hopper's performance was really good. reminded me of Blue Velvet at times.

4. The only badly casted actor was Big Daddy, Eugene Clark. Other than that, Simon Baker, Asia Argento, Robert Joy, John Leguizamo, and Dennis Hopper were fantastic.

I think the film should have went on another half hour. That would really help out. And I do think some o the characters should have been killed off like Charlie and Pillsbury. Romero's style was really captured well by Danny Boyle in 28 Days Later and I think Romero should have had more atmospheric shots and sequences. But otherwise, compared most any other zombie flick in the past 10 years, It was brilliant.

Undisclosed
    Really? I don't remember a single line of dialogue from Land. The acting all round was wooden. The script was like a video game and it was all about what amounts to fighting over possession of a monster truck!

Undisclosed
    i can name hundreds of lines. "Good shooting, no such thing as nice shooting", "God really left the phone off the hook, huh baby?!" , "That's why I still love you Charlie, you still believe in Heaven.", "Somebody shot the little fat man.", "Isn't that what we're doing? Pretending to be alive..."

I could go on.

"I came to do something... What are we standing around for? Let's do something"

The theater loved that one. i could quote all day. Great lines that some critics referred to as almost poetry in a way. Compared to movies like Saw, DOTD 2004, Hostel, etc. where the dialogue is "Oh my God" or "Hello?" , Land's dialogue is really good.