Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Ice is Going Fast--Really Fast

Undisclosed

Arctic Ice is Going Fast--Really Fast

This showed up in a little blurb in the back of the Washington Post today....

The Arctic ice cap is melting much faster than expected and is now about 30 years ahead of predictions made by the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a U.S. expert said yesterday.
    This means the ocean at the top of the world could be free or nearly free of summer ice by 2020, three decades sooner than the global panel’s gloomiest forecast of 2050.
    No ice on the Arctic Ocean during summer would be a major spur to global warming, said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Colorado.
    Scambos and co-authors of the study, published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, used satellite data and visual confirmation of Arctic ice to reach their conclusions, a far different picture than that obtained from computer models used by the scientists of the international panel.
    He discounted the notion that natural climate cycles are causing the sharp warming trend in the Arctic.

Heres a similiar article posted on some blog with more information from Scambo.

-Arctic ice cap melting 30 years ahead of forecast-

The Arctic ice cap is melting much faster than expected and is now about 30 years ahead of predictions made by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a U.S. ice expert said on Tuesday.

This means the ocean at the top of the world could be free or nearly free of summer ice by 2020, three decades sooner than the global panel's gloomiest forecast of 2050.

No ice on the Arctic Ocean during summer would be a major spur to global warming, said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the National Snow and Ice Center in Colorado.

"Right now ... the Arctic helps keep the Earth cool," Scambos said in a telephone interview. "Without that Arctic ice, or with much less of it, the Earth will warm much faster."

That is because the ice reflects light and heat; when it is gone, the much darker land or sea will absorb more light and heat, making it more difficult for the planet to cool down, even in winter, he said.

Scambos and co-authors of the study, published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, used satellite data and visual confirmation of Arctic ice to reach their conclusions, a far different picture than that obtained from computer models used by the scientists of the intergovernmental panel.

"The IPCC report was very careful, very thorough and cautious, so they erred on the side of what would certainly occur as opposed to what might occur," Scambos said in a telephone interview.

ICE-FREE SUMMER

The wide possibility of what might occur included a much later melt up north, or a much earlier one, Scambos said.

"It appears we're on pace about 30 years earlier than expected to reach a state where we don't have sea ice or at least not very much in late summer in the Arctic Ocean," he said.

He discounted the notion that the sharp warming trend in the Arctic might be due to natural climate cycles. "There aren't many periods in history that are this dramatic in terms of natural variability," Scambos said.

He said he had no doubt that this was caused in large part by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which he said was the only thing capable of changing Earth on such a large scale over so many latitudes.

Asked what could fix the problem -- the topic of a new report by the intergovernmental panel to be released on Friday in Bangkok -- Scambos said a large volcanic eruption might hold Arctic ice melting at bay for a few years.

But he saw a continued warm-up as inevitable in the coming decades.

"Long-term and for the next 50 years, I think even the new report will agree that we're in for quite a bit of warming," Scambos said.

"We just barely now, I think, have enough time and enough collective will to be able to get through this century in good shape, but it means we have to start acting now and in a big way."
    http://my-dreamtime.blogspot.com/200...r13-years.html

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    shows how much they know

Undisclosed
    Like Scambo said in the second article....

"The IPCC report was very careful, very thorough and cautious, so they erred on the side of what would certainly occur as opposed to what might occur," Scambos said in a telephone interview.
    So they erred on predicting a more optimistic slower scenario....turns out it might be worse...lol...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Dey aihnt ebber gonna feeega eet owt
    (west indies represent!) lol

Kazakhstan
    cool!
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States

"Cough!"

Earth is sick of human beings...
    Sorry mankind, time for a swim.
    I guess its better than being demolished for a hyper-space bypass.
    Wait, don't forget your towel.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

England
    OooOOOOooooOOOohhhh *shakes in boots*

Undisclosed
    DONT PANIC ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    y'know if the ice does melt and the oceans rise and the north becomes a much more hospitible land mass, do you think refugees from places then below the sea would all move there adn get along, or would there be some war for who got first dibs on the area?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Waterworld starring Kevin Costner

United States
    Ill be dead by then..ill try not to polute for my kids sake

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Ill be dead by then..ill try not to polute for my kids sake
    You wont be dead in 30 years.....or will you?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    brr...ill be 49 then, im imagining a fat guy with a beardand a pony tail

United States
    time to invest in high altitude land

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    wierd thing is i saw a projection thing and basically the west side of england is gonna be the portion that mostly goes under, which stadns to reason being theres a bigass ocean on that side, but were i live will actually be near the coast then, if not a few metes underwater, anyone to the left of nottingham and birmingham and heading up to scotland are cool, if your in wales ireland or the south west your screwed.
    cant say about america but im sure it said when it happens floridas gonna be gone, goodbye disneyland