Thread: How to promote a great film

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

How to promote a great film

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6553503.stm

A "biohazard" warning symbol projected onto Dover's white cliffs will mark a film launch across the UK.
    Kent's famous landmark is being used because it features in the movie, 28 Weeks Later - a sequel to 28 Days Later which was in cinemas five years ago.

In the first film, a deadly virus wipes out England but in the sequel it turns out the bug is not yet destroyed.

28 Days Later, from director Danny Boyle, received £3.2m in lottery cash and became a cult hit in the UK.

It was hailed by the UK Film Council as proof that a new method of awarding lottery money worked - with film-makers themselves helping decide which projects were likely to appeal to audiences.

The launch in Kent on Friday was set to take place 28 days ahead of the sequel's release.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    How can a film become a cult hit? Isn't that sorta of an oxymoron?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    How can a film become a cult hit? Isn't that sorta of an oxymoron?
    I don't think so... not really if you think about it. Let's compare cult films...

Blade Runner and Rocky Horror Picture Show - you could certainly consider these "cult hits"... made good money in their theatrical run and still pull in tons of money every year.

Reefer Madness and The Beastmaster - I wouldn't call these hits by any means but they do have a cult following.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, that's a superb advertising gimmick, love it!

And indeed, us Brits can make good flicks, but the filmmakers themselves need the power to make the goods, the money men have no idea what makes a good film, much like most filmmakers probably wouldn't know where to start with a copy of The Financial Times.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    meh, kinda cheesy to me, maybe someone got the idea from playing vice city

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I don't think so... not really if you think about it. Let's compare cult films...

Blade Runner and Rocky Horror Picture Show - you could certainly consider these "cult hits"... made good money in their theatrical run and still pull in tons of money every year.
    Then they're just hits, not cult hits.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Then they're just hits, not cult hits.
    I disagree. The majority of casual film watchers, or even some film buffs, won't acknowledge those two films. But they've got a LARGE "underground" following... I'd say a small enough amount to be a cult following but big enough to make it a hit.

I'm having trouble explaining this. Does anybody else see what I'm trying to say?

United States

sweet advertising

I can see how Rocky Horror PS has a cult following though I personally am not a fan but I also dont see how they can say 28 is in the same group. I think of cult hit or classics as being movies that didnt do well in the box office but found a following when released to dvd or vhs like Boondock Saints.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Super Moderator

UK
    Idea from Vice City? Whatchu huffin' ya crazy fool?

*ahem*

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYDEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAADDD D

Gail Porter's arse on the Houses of Parliament was better though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I disagree. The majority of casual film watchers, or even some film buffs, won't acknowledge those two films. But they've got a LARGE "underground" following... I'd say a small enough amount to be a cult following but big enough to make it a hit.

I'm having trouble explaining this. Does anybody else see what I'm trying to say?
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree that such a criteria makes a cult hit. A film that is a cult hit is a film that does either poorly or blatantly mediocre and then goes on to gather a large cult gathering. But something cannot be a cult HIT. If something is a hit, then it is succesfull. A more appropriate term would be either just "hit" or "classic".

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. A cult film, no doubt. Not a cult hit.