Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-18-08 AKA Cloverfield

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

1-18-08 AKA Cloverfield

Anybody else psyched for this as-of-yet-untitled film? Look up the preview on YouTube if you haven't seen it yet (it plays before Transformers). I haven't been this excited over a movie in a long time.

TRAILER:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I saw that trailer on the best week ever. Boy does it look crazy. It looks like a kickass monster movie. It looks like it has alot of potential. I think they were talking about this flick in another thread as well minus the vid. Thnx for the visual.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

Undisclosed

Why the movie looks....MONSTROUS!

Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's a good theory. Very plausible, although i'm sure there will be others before the movie's release.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What is this? The 72nd thread on the same subject?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    uh, its the 2nd, but this one has more info, sans the trailer though.

1-18-08 Solved?
    After much, much discussion, it seems the mystery (and title) of JJ Abrams' top-secret monster movie may have been solved. A very interesting (and plausible) theory has popped up on the internet. Take a look for yourself, see if it's true. Also behind the cut is the supposed title and poster.

Okay, so the apparent title is MONSTROUS. Some kid took a picture of a poster at a comic book store, which depicts a headless Statue of Liberty, with the title MONSTROUS spread out across the top and the release date 1-18-08 on the bottom.

clicky for pics.

THEORY--

If you look at the trailer you can see the number 3 being referenced to everywhere. The 63 degrees on the news channel, The 12:36, the 2004 ACE, numbers that are all dividable by 3.

Last, but not least, you hear the thundering monster sound three times, each sound accompanied by a different event.

Romans 1:18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness"

So what in biblical mythology has connections to the slew of references in the trailer? The three great monsters.

In Jewish belief, Behemoth is the primal unconquerable monster of the land, as Leviathan is the primal monster of the waters of the sea and Ziz the primordial monster of the sky.

1) The first monster roar is accompanied by an earthquake (Behemoth)
    2) The second monster roar is accompanied by a huge fireball (Leviathan, for it can breathe fire)
    3) The third monster roar is accompanied by the flying Statue of Liberty head (Ziz).

Not convinced?

The guy who says "maybe we can get a better view from the roof" has the Slusho logo on his shirt. Slusho is a classic J.J. Abrams icon, and it has appeared in both Alias and Lost, which are his shows.

Slusho.jp has, by now, been confirmed as a part of the viral marketing campaign revolving around 1-18-08. Japan. Strangely enough, the character Rob, who is present in the trailer, was gonna fly to Japan a day after that party and the monster events.

Let's have a look around on that site. Not all pages are accessible. But there is an odd feature about the pages that are available. The main page background is on land, the Downloads page background is on air, and the History page background is on sea.

Furthermore, the six buttons on the main page cause popups of various animals, namely a Horse, a Whale and a Bird. Behemoth, Leviathan, Ziz.

its really fallin' into clthulu type teritory, what with the giant ancient creatures and that, still the trailers obviously working like i said it would in the other thread so its definatly gonna make a huge bank at the box office from word of mouth alone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I, too, am thinking it's a very good possibility of being another film about the Call of Cthulhu.

Abrams is releasing the title of the movie on Thursday so I guess we'll pretty much be able to figure out what the movie is when that happens.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good, because the name "CLOVERFIELD" isn't exactly striking fear into the hearts of people.

Dying

Undisclosed

I'm pretty sure

that the reason they picked Cloverfield as a cover title was to keep people from being interested prematurely.
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd View Post
    that the reason they picked Cloverfield as a cover title was to keep people from being interested prematurely.
    I thought that premature interest a.k.a. "hype" was a good thing?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Give me Cthulhu, goddamnit, give it to me!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Hollywood has been known to screw up the most can't miss premises.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    New trailer.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21492

And it's definitely called "Cloverfield"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    YYES YES YES YES YES YES YES Yes!!!!!!!!!

Undisclosed
    I love giant monster movies, but these trailers are dumb as **** and I can't believe they've got everyone fooled (again). Remember the Hollywood abomination that was called Godzilla ten years ago? Sony tried to keep that project under wraps until the last minute, too, and there was a good reason for it (i.e. the actual movie sucked).

Despite all the cloak & dagger on Cloverfield, they've already given away too much:

- blatant overuse of shaky yet unbelievably sharp (not to mention widescreen!) hand-held video cam-style cinematography.

- "grungy" L.A. actors mug for the camera as NYC yuppie boneheads. No one in the target audience for this film will be able to identify with a single one of them.

- fake CGI Statue of Liberty head rolls down street without flattening a single person. It would have been thrown for at least a mile before reaching Manhattan.

The real deal with Cloverfield: Paramount lost to Universal in the mad scramble to secure remake rights to The Host out of South Korea (best damn monster flick in years). So it's a small wonder they're now employing the Lost guys to beat them to the punch with this film. Hasn't it been "leaked" that the monster in Cloverfield is named "the Parasite"? How much closer to "The Host" can you get?

Even more uber gayness: the characters from this movie have their own My Space pages.

http://www.myspace.com/jamielascano
    http://www.myspace.com/robbyhawkins
    http://www.myspace.com/lily_ford
    http://www.myspace.com/beth_mcintyre
    http://www.myspace.com/jj_hawkins
    http://www.myspace.com/marlenadiamond
    http://www.myspace.com/hudsonplatt

Please wake me up when it's all over.

EvilNed, this is the best Cthulhu adaptation I've ever seen, made for practically no money: The Call of Cthulhu.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 19-Nov-2007 at 11:17 PM.