Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

Dying

Undisclosed

Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

This sounds like a must have for fans, like myself, of this film . Blue Underground is releasing a 2 disc special edition on Feb. 26. Here's part of a review.

Blue Underground has recently given The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue the much deserved special edition treatment by way of a fully re-mastered 2 disc special edition dvd. The dead have never looked so good in this fully restored, high definition widescreen transfer from the original camera negative. The vibrant colors of the English countryside are stunning and the sunken pallor of the zombies is captured with amazing detail.

The sound is fully updated and absolutely incredible in Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I watched the film on my high-end surround sound system and it was pretty damn creepy at times. You realize sounds you were missing during previous viewings. The disc is absolutely packed with extra content including; trailers, stills, a poster gallery, featurette interviews with director Jorge Grau, star Ray Lovelock, and special effects make-up artist Gianetto De Rossi.

I particularly enjoyed the featurette with Jorge Grau “Back to the Morgue” where he revisits the shooting locations with journalist Gian Luca Castoldi. A 45 minute tour through the shooting locations in England with a very interesting commentary by Jorge Grau as he answers questions from Gian Luca Castoldi.

This is a film that every zombie fan should have in their collection and Blue Underground has graciously delivered the ultimate edition of this classic film with shocking thoroughness

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn, if I didn't already own it on DVD, I'd get this one in a snap ... but nevermind eh, it's a quality film though.

England
    Definate buy for me.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Damn, if I didn't already own it on DVD, I'd get this one in a snap ... but nevermind eh, it's a quality film though.
    aye ditto, neat extras, but i buy a film for just that.

Undisclosed
    It looks good.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ok. i have heard so much about this flick from so many of you that i am going to acquire it.

if i don't like it's all of your faults

found it under the name "let sleeping corpses lie." well then here goes...
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Feb-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    I think it's one of the best non-GAR zed flicks, and coming so soon after Night of the Living Dead, it's one of the first of said zed flicks. I rather dig it, it's got that great Euro vibe to it, but it also feels a bit more ... how to say ... artistic.

I duno how to describe it well enough right now, but it's got that great low budget Euro-Zombi vibe to it - not like the guts-n-garters cheap-and-sleazy thrills of Zombi 2 - I think it's a grand flick, a must see for any self-respecting zombie fan.

Undisclosed
    Its alright. I am not a huge fan of Italian zombie films, not that I dont like some, and this is one of the better ones. Although, that is not saying much. The movie is good but I dont think its worth the hype it gets.

England
    Its pretty good but you have to remember there is big drop down to the 2nd tier of zombie films after Romero.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    I am not a huge fan of Italian zombie films
    Oh man, I love them. If you're a fan of Dawn you should at least rent Nightmare City. The zombie attack scenes are a riot. It's so bad it's great.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think it's one of the best non-GAR zed flicks, and coming so soon after Night of the Living Dead, it's one of the first of said zed flicks. I rather dig it, it's got that great Euro vibe to it, but it also feels a bit more ... how to say ... artistic..

i just had the chance last evening to sit down and watch this. it is called "let sleeping corpses lie" in north america. i have to say that after watching it for the first time i like it. while it will never be my favorite zombie movie it has enough chops to it to make it worthwhile and give it a place in my zombie flick rotation.

i agree with what MZ in the quote above - it does have that artsy feel to it that so many european horror movies seem to have. i also wholeheartedly agree that, at first glance, it is one of the better non-romero zombie movies that i've yet seen.

i am glad that after so much talk about it on this board i finally got off of my ass and got this thing. i would add my voice to so many others on these boards and say this film is definitely worth a look. you might like it. you might hate but if you are a zombie fan this movie is certainly something you should check out.

EDIT: i had a brainfade moment and was calliing this italian. andy has brought my ass back in line by pointing out my error.
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Feb-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    Its alright. I am not a huge fan of Italian zombie films
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    Oh man, I love them. If you're a fan of Dawn you should at least rent Nightmare City. The zombie attack scenes are a riot. It's so bad it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    while it will never be my favorite zombie movie (or even favorite italian horror movie)
    Please you illiterate movie slobs, its not italian its spanish

Anywho, i have the one disk DVD here and what its lacking in special features it makes up for with a cool little collectors book!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Please you illiterate movie slobs, its not italian its spanish
    jesus i really did write italian instead of spanish. damn. damn damn. i'll be a editing that right quick.

well it certainly feels and looks italian.

my bad. a brainfade. happens a lot when you are home all day with a 2 year old.

Super Moderator

UK
    Andy - I've got the very same DVD as you do, a nifty little booklet inside indeed...what-what.

Undisclosed
    I recently picked up this 2 disk set simply based on what I've heard on the forums. I hadn't even heard of the film until recently, and was really pleasantly surprised with the film. The colors on the DVD are great, and the film does a good job of keeping the tension going without ever really feeling boring. The way the dead are brought back to life as a result of the pest control machine is an interesting idea. Also, the the way the dead have to bring each other back to life using the blood of the living is a nice change from the norm, which is usually the standard fair of the dead rising from their graves(Zombi 2), the dead (in general) coming back to life (like GAR zombies), or from "the gates of hell" (The Beyond, etc.).

Overall, I really enjoyed the film, and highly recommend it to genre fans. After GAR's films, and (arguably) Fulci's Zombi 2, it's one of the best zombie films out there.

Also, seeing as it's a Blue Underground release, don't expect it to be around long, or really easy to find. I found my copy at Best Buy for $22.99. A little more than I would have thought it would be, but worth every penny.