View Poll Results: The best film of the original Alien series?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien

17 40.48%
  • Aliens

25 59.52%
  • Alien 3

0 0%
  • Alien Resurrection

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alien Poll

capncnut

Alien Poll

I was watching the 'assembly cut' of Alien 3 recently and I was blown away by how superior it was to the official release. So with that in mind, I have decided to make an Alien Poll. The Alien vs Predator films are excluded because I think neither are as good as any of the original four.

I went with the first film. I think the whole series ranks pretty much in order of release.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i went with the first one as well. a straight up scifi/horror movie and a classic.

the second one is too actiony and too james cameron (don't care for him at all).

the third one is good but a bit grungy and too industrial looking for me.

after that one i lost iinterest i the series.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

capncnut
    Obviously I agree with you Scip, the first film hasn't aged a single bit and I never tire of it.

I think Aliens was a superb action movie with many quotable lines of dialogue. The project as a whole was incredibly ballsy - it was bad enough with one of those things chasing after you but thousands?

As I said, the assembly cut of Alien 3 was waaay better than the official version released but I just wish they went along with Vincent Ward's original vision. Monks? A wooden planet? Far out but interesting.

Alien Resurrection sucks cock as far as I'm concerned.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Actually I am probably the only person who likes 'em all! They do indeed get worse after aliens but generally I think they're all pretty decent. I still love Aliens, one of the best sequels ever made...!!!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Aliens

why?

because they actually werent being slaughtered and had a chance to fight.

United States
    Aliens

Simply awesome.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wish I could vote for two of the choices....

I love the first two equally but for totally different reasons. I had to go with Aliens. I thought there was much more to Ripley's character and the marine aspect made it one hell of a thrill ride. More so than Scott's original, imo. The tagline summed the film up perfectly: "This time it's war"

I would love to see what David Fincher's original vision of Alien 3 was. I hear that the assembly cut is the closest to it, but it's still not what he wanted. He absolutely denounces that film and even begged the studio to take his name off of it. Of course....they didnt...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I wish I could vote for two of the choices....

I love the first two equally but for totally different reasons. I had to go with Aliens. I thought there was much more to Ripley's character and the marine aspect made it one hell of a thrill ride. More so than Scott's original, imo. The tagline summed the film up perfectly: "This time it's war"

I would love to see what David Fincher's original vision of Alien 3 was. I hear that the assembly cut is the closest to it, but it's still not what he wanted. He absolutely denounces that film and even begged the studio to take his name off of it. Of course....they didnt...
    killing off newt and hicks made no sense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    First one. Still creepy. Still awesome. The one I re-watch the most. Tho I do like them all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    killing off newt and hicks made no sense.
    Yeah. Maybe if we could have seen where the film was originally supposed to go it would have made more sense. Apparently the studio just changed things around during filming.

I heard that Michael Beihn got paid more money for his image being shown once in Alien 3 than he did for Aliens.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Yeah. Maybe if we could have seen where the film was originally supposed to go it would have made more sense. Apparently the studio just changed things around during filming.

I heard that Michael Beihn got paid more money for his image being shown once in Alien 3 than he did for Aliens.

i'd have liked to see a USCM sequel

capncnut
    Yup, true. At his request and out of spite for killing off Hicks.

I think Alien 3 is underappreciated. I know I'm a fan of the movie but it would've been a fitting end to the trilogy if they used the assembly cut. What the hell possessed them to re-edit and add an alien bursting from her stomach at the end is beyond me.

In the assembly cut, the Sulaco plays a much bigger role and the deaths of Newt and Hicks are more justified.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Yup, true. At his request and out of spite for killing off Hicks.

I think Alien 3 is underappreciated. I know I'm a fan of the movie but it would've been a fitting end to the trilogy if they used the assembly cut. What the hell possessed them to re-edit and add an alien bursting from her stomach at the end is beyond me.

In the assembly cut, the Sulaco plays a much bigger role and the deaths of Newt and Hicks are more justified.
    This makes me want to buy that SE of Alien 3.

The bad thing is, I bought Alien and Aliens in that edition when I should have got the entire series set. The "Quadrilogy" as they called it.

Super Moderator

UK
    I voted Aliens, Cameron's film is just a masterpiece of sci-fi-horror. I dare you not to get totally wrapped up and all heart-racy during the two key action sequences (in the hive at Sub-Level 2 when Ripley goes all Colin McCrae with the APC) and the operations room shoot out - SUPERB. The music was great during those sequences, after seeing the film countless times, it still gets me on the edge of my seat.

Alien would be second for me, I recently got the 2-discs for Alien, Aliens and Alien3 and really grew a large appreciation for Alien (no, not in my pants! ). It's a superb film and you really appreciate it much more with the background story of its making.

Alien3 - the assembly cut - is fookin' brilliant I say. Way better than the original version, which I initially didn't like, but then ended up liking quite a bit (way better than Alien 4, which was just a bunch of people running around a space ship, it was all rather average - although certain stylistic elements, or invented technology moments were spiffing).

Anyway, the Assembly Cut of Alien3 is a must-see for all Alien series fans. It really feels much more like a David Fincher film, it just feels ... classy ... it feels artistic, you really appreciate what Fincher was trying to do to the best of his ability at the time with that film. It's just a shame that it seems all the films have had troubled productions...it seems that Scott, Cameron and Fincher all got bitching left, right & centre through their respective productions...but they're all great films, but Alien 3 comes third for me because the story was a bit wonky here and there ... and killing of Hicks is inexcusable - HICKS WAS AWESOME!

I still like to think of Alien3 as in a different universe, like an alternate reality of something, cos it's just harsh that Hicks goes through all that - being so heroic, manly and awesome (the dude jumps through a f*cking window - that is pure MAN right there) - and then gets crushed by a pillar.

Still though, Alien3 assembly cut - noiiice. But Aliens and then Alien come before, for me.

capncnut
    This makes me want to buy that SE of Alien 3.
    Get the fuggin' Quadrilogy!

The assembly cut is like watching a completely different movie. There's so much that's wrong with the official version. Apart from the stuff that I've already mentioned, the way the Alien makes its appearance is much more satisfying and the character Golic (Paul McGann, whose character was cut down significantly in the theatrical and just simply vanished without explanation) is a major player in the story, lasting a good twenty minutes longer. Ach, I don't wanna spoil it for ya so I'll shut my trap on the spoiler front.

But the Fiorina setting is awesome; the rubble, oily seas (hence why Ripley looked so dirty when revived), the lice, everything is on a much more grander scale. I believe its a good 15-20 minutes or more before a single word is uttered!

Buy it, download it, do what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Still though, Alien3 assembly cut - noiiice.
    You know it makes sense, Rodders.