Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Running zombies

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ov3rlord View Post
    Shh.... don't say that. Next thing you know we'll have zombies with years of extensive military training and top of the line weaponry running around.
    Land - Sea - Air -
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    :d

too ****ing funny.

Undisclosed
    I don't know about you guys but I'll be on the moon if anyone needs me

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ov3rlord View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I'll be on the moon if anyone needs me
    Wouldn't the moon be more susceptible to the Venus Probe radiation than Earth? The last thing you would want is zombies that can defy gravity.

Canada
    You just wait, the way some of these new modern zombies
    are coming about, there will be a "Zombies from outer space"
    movie and then no one will be safe

Twitching

United States
    Flag on the play,
    About the zombies "popping right up", so the normal cycle of death doesn't apply so much. From the moment respiration and the heart stops oxygen stops getting to the brain. Ever seen the damage that can be done by a trauma victim being oxygen-deprived, even if for a very few minutes? Except in cases where extreme hypothermia is involved massive brain damage invariably results.

Yes, the reanimation mechanism somehow makes the zombie brain independent of the need for oxygen, but only those parts of the brain that the virus is actively maintaining would be protected from the ravages of oxygen deprivation. That brings us back to the selectivity required to have mindless predatory automatons have full command of their bodies making disbelief-suspension incredibly hard. The zombie might have sprung to their feet within seconds of death, but brain damage WOULD still be a part of the death-process.

Another thing, equilibrium is inarguably based on a fluid-centric sort of gyroscope in the inner ear. I can buy that the zombie virus/method of reanimation could somehow jury-rig a "bypass" for this system, but one that functions as well as a living human being's involuntary biological systems?
    Without good balance running, jumping and timed pounces are impossible.

Put another way. Tell me there's ANYONE in the whole wide world that didn't go "What the HELL?" during the scene when the legless zombie in Dawn '04 smoothly hand-over-hands his way along the pipes in the parking garage, takes aim, and drops down perfectly on its hapless human victim's back?

That was an ambush maneuver that a living human being would have been extremely hard-pressed to get right in one attempt. My suspension of disbelief gives me problems when Chuck Norris and Steven Segall pull those sort of stunts, and I know both of them have had benefit of extensive cultivation of their natural coordination and other supplementary skills. Even taking away the elements of pain and fatigue it would still take the capacity to realize that a silent attack from above has benefits that scrambling across the ground in the shortest path possible to the human flesh does not.

The problem with runners isn't just with their running. It's really that the director/script-writers never stop at simple straight line running. They always have them leaping, timing their physical attacks for optimal effect, and other varied feats of dexterity. Their capabilities don't generally stop there either, as often the runners display a predatory cunning that outright declares their ability to premeditate and use their environment to best advantage.

I agree with all the prior arguments made about what runners take away from the genre, as well as agreeing that if a plotline was crafted that amended the flaws in the running zombies we've seen so far then it could make for an entertaining film. But as they are runners offer little but grim, hopeless, extremely fast-paced and haphazard action. Survival horror at its best is much more than that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Tell me there's ANYONE in the whole wide world that didn't go "What the HELL?" during the scene when the legless zombie in Dawn '04 smoothly hand-over-hands his way along the pipes in the parking garage, takes aim, and drops down perfectly on its hapless human victim's back?

I agree.That scene was B.S.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    I agree.That scene was B.S.
    ****e writing/script...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Put another way. Tell me there's ANYONE in the whole wide world that didn't go "What the HELL?" during the scene when the legless zombie in Dawn '04 smoothly hand-over-hands his way along the pipes in the parking garage, takes aim, and drops down perfectly on its hapless human victim's back?
    You are right of course. I'd go a step further and say it's hard to believe that the legless zombie didn't exceed his former human limitations. That was quite a physical feat he performed.

What was he doing hanging in the rafters of the parking garage in the first place? As you say, the zombie was able to premeditate his attack which begs the question what brain process was left intact that the guy knew to lie in ambush? If his brethren topside had that kind of skill they'd have gotten into the mall half a dozen different ways.

Any half decent writer could give us a running zombie movie that doesn't boil down to a one dimensional action flick.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormad93 View Post
    How many of you hate running zombies? well I do I think It stupid how the hell are you suppose to survive with zombs running after you the best zombies are the old original walking ones much cooler and scarier.
    You just answered your own question.

You're not supposed to survive. What fun is a zombie outbreak if you have the upper hand. Even the playing field and lets see who comes out on top.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Dead

Undisclosed
    **** that remake, and **** "super zombies"!

Undisclosed
    I can get used to running zombies, i hate to say it. But, zombies that crawl 100 mph on walls (like on the Day of the Dead remake), that was just more stupid than terrifying!

Undisclosed
    As I have said before ... slow or fast is an artistic decision ... and neither is wrong or right.

They both have their points....

Fast ... you have NO room to f' up ... they are on you in a heart beat....

Slow ... no matter how far you run or how long it takes ... they will always follow you ... you need sleep ... they do not ... and they will follow you till you die.

I prefer slow only because it adds an element of hopelessness.... and of inevitability ... it allows for a slower build up of terror ... that's more sustained.

As for picking on scenes ... the arm over arm legless zombie is no more or less a tool for a fright that does not make 100% sense than then the workman zombie that stays perfectly still only to spring on Roger at just the right time in the original Dawn.

I prefer to just judge a movie on if it was entertaining or not to me ... not how it fairs compared to another....

But to each their own.

Twitching

United States
    Ok,
    If we're gonna go for running zombies then these dead people sprinting around, doing olympic-class long jumps, and negotiating obstacles anyone who's been through basic training would recognize then I'd like to see the muscles break down.

Maybe the middle-ground people have the right of it. Let the very fresh zombies run and pounce on people, but emphasize their bodies are dead by having the majority slow down as time goes by. Then when someone new died it would be jarring all over again to have a much more dangerous zombie in action again.

With a good script and decent actors the different pacing allowed by using fresh runner-pouncers that become relentless shamblers could open up some possibilities that have never been skillfully employed/explored.

One plot device that I'll never be able to enjoy though are zombies demonstrating problem-solving, deductive reasoning and coordinated activities (not to be confused with the classic zombie mob who *incidentally* aid each other). Down that path lay more legless monkey-bar climbing zombies, and ::shudders and then vomits:: more Big Daddies. No thanks, we have movies about intelligent undead led by an "alpha undead" that operate as a collective.

They're called vampire movies.

Canada
    I really don't think a human or group of humans could rip the head off of someone, or tear a man in half with their bear hands.

such as the zombies do in the original Day of the dead.
    I guess people forget those things when comparing movies sometimes?