Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whats the hate with the Star Wars Special Editions?

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Eh...back in that era, of the pre-Empire, everything WAS new & shiny, so I would think that was more of a visual style choice. In the Republic every thing looks bright & utopia like vs the run down, darker looking Empire.

Plus it's the ship of the Queen of Naboo vs a broken down freighter owned by a smuggler, so I would expect one to look newer & shinier than the other.
    Well, perhaps. But it remains very difficult to recreate that tactile appearance with CGI, that can be achieved with good model work. The bottom line is, things just look fake.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Seriously though, I found him to be quite scheming & devious, along with twisted & evil. That was one of the GOOD things about Ep's 1-3 is that you REALLY get a good look at Palpatine & his rise to power. I thought that part was handled extremely well & that McDiarmid was really great in the part.
    Indeed! He stole the show in Episode 3 imo. Speaking of Episode 3, I say it was the best film outta the prequel trilogy. Heck, IŽll even go on saying it was the closest to original trilogy status for me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Indeed! He stole the show in Episode 3 imo. Speaking of Episode 3, I say it was the best film outta the prequel trilogy. Heck, IŽll even go on saying it was the closest to original trilogy status for me.
    Second.

The prequels are rated in the opposite order for me. 3rd's the best, then 2, then 1.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I've actually only found one person who agrees with me on the prequels that Episode 3 is a horrible shitfest of a film, but that Episode 1 is at least bearable and has some spirit of adventure in it. So I'm not surprised to find yet another one gone astray...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Second.

The prequels are rated in the opposite order for me. 3rd's the best, then 2, then 1.
    I'm tempted to agree with you, but 3 was wretched. Yes, it had traces of the original trilogy, as though there was some bumbling intent to tie it all up neatly, but the heavy handed approach to the one-note plot and the odious acting that comes bubbling up to the surface makes the third film unwatchable for me in just about every respect, which is not the case for the 2nd film in the series (I can watch some of it) and--to a lesser degree--the first film (only the light saber duels are worth watching).

Of course, Anakin getting his legs whacked off by Kenobi was cool...but then I think about how well that fight could have been handled and it spoils it for me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Second.

That's about it for me too. It's hard for me to rate them or quantify my feelings on them sinse there's some things I REALLY like about them & some things that I REALLY DON'T, so it's a mixed bag I guess.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yeah, same here. Am I the only one who thought the Podraces were cool?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Best action sequence in the Prequel trilogy. Infact, it's the only action sequence that stands out. Maybe that final battle in Episode 2 gets some points too, but it was way too long.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    If it weren't for the pod race and Neeson TPM would be toilet paper. The pod racers were the only bit of technology in the silly prequels that had a touch of the worn out feel introed by the original SW.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm tempted to agree with you, but 3 was wretched. Yes, it had traces of the original trilogy, as though there was some bumbling intent to tie it all up neatly, but the heavy handed approach to the one-note plot and the odious acting that comes bubbling up to the surface makes the third film unwatchable for me in just about every respect, which is not the case for the 2nd film in the series (I can watch some of it) and--to a lesser degree--the first film (only the light saber duels are worth watching).

Of course, Anakin getting his legs whacked off by Kenobi was cool...but then I think about how well that fight could have been handled and it spoils it for me.

Word to your mother!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Was anyone else kind of shoked by the fact that Anakin made C3PO?

That just seemed like a bad excuse to have the robots in the prequels...

Super Moderator

United States
    Was anyone else kind of shoked by the fact that Anakin made C3PO?

That just seemed like a bad excuse to have the robots in the prequels...
    To paraphrase in a Clanglee-esque fashion...

Word to your mother!!

Word to your mother indeed, sir!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I've actually only found one person who agrees with me on the prequels that Episode 3 is a horrible shitfest of a film, but that Episode 1 is at least bearable and has some spirit of adventure in it. So I'm not surprised to find yet another one gone astray...
    Your the first person, I've seen so far that have said anything good about Episode 1. I will agree that it gets just a tad to crapped on. Its not the worst film ever made as, some make it out to be. There are just some aspects that just didn't work. I heard their gonna replace Phantom Menace Yoda puppet with a cgi Yoda...that true...if it is its one of the few instances where I prefer cgi to puppets.

Ireland
    Hated the podrace. Bloody stupid idea. OK, Anakin may have millions of mediclorians (who the F came up with that nonsense?), but he's still a fecking child!!! Ridiculous concept.

The first episode was rubbish, with Jar Jar (oh my god!), those Roger Roger droids and everything else. But, for me, the second episode was the worst one. That was an absolute mess of a film, with nothing remotely convincing about it and as for the "romance" between the central characters? Forget it. I have more of a convincing relationship with Natalie Portman.

On top of it all, though, was the truly incredible decision to go with Hayden Christensen as the teenage Anikin Skywalker. The yoda pupprt without Frank Oz's hand up its arse would have done a better job. The "It's not fair" business was excrutiating too. 'Attack of the Clones' was just an awful, awful film from beginning to end.

What Lucas could have done with throughout the trilogy, was somebody by his side who had the balls to say "No George, that's a bad idea." Without that, we are simply left with Lucas' vision and that vision has been getting more and more myopic since the "teddy bear" decision from 'Return of the Jedi'.

Episode's 1, 2 and 3 very nearly destroyed the whole 'Star Wars' thing for me. It was ages before I could look at the original three films again.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....